• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Team kizb

I'm just starting to research a new build and had a couple question.

What seems to improve your ROC more, faster CPU or faster/more GPUs?

I'm trying to decided weather to go with a i5 2500K or a i7 2600K. The choice of GPU will effect how much I have left to spend on the GPU(s)

The GPU I'm thinking of using is the GTX 560 Ti, for about the same price I could get 2 GTX 260's, or for a little more get 2 GTX 460's. What combo would be the best way to go?

Thanks for the input.

GPU would do much better. If you got the money, get a good mobo that can handle 4x PCIe video card, 4x GTX 590, and quality after market cooler for those video cards so they can stay cool without hogging 3 slots. You'd need a minimum 1500w power supply, without overclocking.

GPU would do much better. If you got the money, get a good mobo that can handle 4x PCIe video card, 4x GTX 590, and quality after market cooler for those video cards so they can stay cool without hogging 3 slots. You'd need a minimum 1500w power supply, without overclocking.

Sounds like a great setup, but a little more than I want to spend :)

After reading the forums more, sounds like investing in the GPUs is the way to go. What do you guys think of this setup?

i3 2120
2x GTX 560 Ti with room to add more 560s down the road.

Just placed an order for the following parts, its going to run Boinc 24/7, already have a 500w power supply and case to put it in.

Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz
ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM Intel H61 Micro ATX
Galaxy GeForce GTX 470
Mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD

Should be interesting to see how it preforms compared to my other computers.

Any one have any idea what the ROC for it might be?

I'd say about 16-18k RAC from the 460 and maybe 1k RAC from one of the Intel HT cores (it has HT I believe) and the other HT core should be devoted to feeding the gpu.

Should be a good little setup.

Have fun!

Thanks for the information. I've picked up a GTX 295 that's going to run with the i3 and will use the GTX 470 with my E8400 instead to replace a 8800 GT.

Yes, the i3 has HT.

Back