• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning to upgrade motherboard + processor - Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tedmann12

Registered
Hi guys,

I decided to dust off my old gaming pc as it has been in the closet for a year.

I currently have:

GA-78LMT-S2 motherboard
FX 6300
Radeon R9 280x
8 Gigs DDR Ram
630W Enermax Gold Certified PSU.

I just bought 16 GB of DDR4 ram, not realizing I needed a compatible motherboard and CPU. I'm thinking what the hell, why not just go in on an i7 + motherboard.

Currently I am thinking about buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Deskto..._rd_wg=4p1Mk&refRID=J19JFFY0QC6J5PFECWAT&th=1

Can anyone tell me what I need to be aware of before replacing my motherboard and CPU?

Like will I need a motherboard that is compatible with my computer case? Or do they all follow a similar lay out? I don't want to run into any expected problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your current mobo is micro ATX so it'll depend really on your case whether or not the Hero will fit. You could likely get away with a cheaper motherboard as well. On top of that you'll need a compatible cooler for the i7

Thanks man, that was really helpful.

So basically I need a micro ATX mobo?

Is the i7 7700 compatible with this mobo?

and how different is the i5 7700k vs i7 7700k?

And then we move on to the OS. Kaby Lake chips are NOT supported by anything but Windows 10 in the M$ stable. Judging by the gear you're upgrading I'm going to guess this is suddenly an issue. If you already have W10, it won't be happy with the mobo change.

The motherboard change will make it so you need to reactivate windows. When I switched mine out I used the old HDD and removed any drivers that were motherboard related and then installed the new parts. If windows gives you grief you can trouble shoot activation and it'll show an option of changed HW. Select it then sign in with your normal windows password and it should then activate.

Stable=Microsoft's collection of operating systems. As in where livestock is kept. LOL
And Windows 10 usually locks to the motherboard. This is currently a gray area, as there have been reports of Windows 10 installing willy nilly throughout the binary ecosystem. :D You'll want to do a clean install anyway, so you can go from there. Try using your W8.1 product key when you install the OS. There is a chance everything will go smoothly. There have been a lot of reports that W10 is installing with a lot less hassle than it used to. M$ really wants everybody on it.

One last question,

When I hook up my motherboard and everything, do I just turn on the computer and business as usual? Or do I need to reinstall drivers? Install motherboard software?

I mean the i7 7700k vs i5 7600k.

The i7 7700k is Simultaneous multithreading So it has 4 cores 8 threads. Also the L3 Cache is 8 MB, clock speed is 4.2GHz to turbo boost 4.5GHz

The i5 7600k has 4 cores 4 threads. also the L3 Cache is 6MB, clock speed is 3.8GHz to turbo boost of 4.2GHz.

i7 7700k vs i5 7600k performance. LINK:

Back