• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please get nVidia to Acknowledge, diagnose, and Fix this issue! Please read.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Excelsior said:
I'm sorry but we will not be able to address or fix the problem you cite via this forum.
Developers are already aware of the bug and are working to resolve the problem in CS.
However, we will not be able to provide you feedback on their findings at this time.

I will be the first one in line to say nVidia is terrible with communication and wording on
support issues but they did answer you question with the above.

What they are saying is they are aware of the issue and the driver team is working on a
solution. They can not tell you how to fix the issue using your current drivers because there
is no fix or work around for it yet.

No manufacturer will tell you the status ("provide you feedback on their findings") of possible
bug fixes in yet to be released drivers as that can change almost daily with every test build
they try.

Fixing drivers takes time. Debugging can be a very time consuming and frustrating as you can
fix one thing and break another in the process. It doesn't help that Vista drivers are sucking
up massive amounts of driver developement man hours either.

Viper

Last edited:
MadMan007 said:
Run. Mem. Test.

It would be pretty ironic if NVs own chipset was the prime cause of this problem wouldn't it? :p

yeah man funny you mention that cuz all the people I know are running intel mobos and it seems most the people having trouble are not.

TrophyGeek said:
I purchased two eVGA 8800GTX boards for SLI mode with my 680i motherboard (Asus Striker Extreme) and experienced the same BSOD problem with both boards. I tried using just one at a time but no luck. Granted the Striker Extreme is a difficult board to get stable.

Next, I tried a different Asus motherboard (P5WDG2 WS Pro) and while the problem was less pronounced, the only crashes I experienced were nVidia video driver BSOD... with both boards. I wasn't doing any intensive gaming at the time, either.

It is a very strange BSOD because the system seems to slow to a crawl just seconds before it happens. The mouse moves but just barely for 2-5 seconds before the BSOD.

I can confirm the fan speed control issue someone else reported with the P5WDG2, but strangely, it seemed to work fine for the 680i board? I suspect there's better integration with that mobo because it's an nVidia design.

The current situation in the hardware/driver landscape is such that revisions and fixes seem to taking forever. My outsider theory is that Vista support work is overloading the dev cycles of many of these companies.

The problem is SLI is still an immature technology unless you go with the whole nvidia platform. Next many older games were not designed with SLI in mind. I also think some boards are simply just not made as well as others, I think it's really a motherboard or video card manufacturing quality issue. Sounds like serious power or signaling/compatability issues have not been resolved in some revisions possibly, or maybe its simply software issue. It's hard to know without being on the inside.

Dual Proc?

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This just means "Something went wrong, and it was totally unexpected." The 0xc0000005 means the code is trying to read or write from some bad memory location. Bad pointer in programmer's language.

Given that you can be playing for hours without BSDing, this may be a very infrequent condition that causes it.

Have you tried to "burn in" your computer with some kind of 2d benchmark in a loop? This method may be a little more consistent than using a 3d game. But I'm not sure what conclusion to draw if it does or does not crash...

Also, if I understand correctly you have a 2 CPU setup. Have you tried to disable the second one? I'm asking because it might be a case of mixup of the same data by 2 different thread, having only one CPU will avoid simultaneous execution of code and reduce the chance of mishap. This kind of bug is really difficult to debug.

I agree that the business model is a little messed up, nVidia is affectively designing chips, boards, drivers, handing out the design to an OEM (usually clueless about the intricate details of the product). So when you got a problem, the manidacturer can't help you and the designer won't. Tough!

Good luck though. Let me know how it goes!

Ph.

Rattle said:
probably just got a bad card, this is the first I have heard of it on these forums and I know at least 6 people that dont even frequent forums with this cards without issue. Stop trying to stop people from buying 8800's and rma your card.

Rattle said:
yeah your right he is but saying that this si widespread is BS, its a combo of hardware and inexperienced users garanteed and some bad cards.

Uh, did you read the post? Follow the links to the nVidia forums or the eVGA forums or the other dozen threads with those having issues.

Spion said:
I'm curious if you uninstalled the drivers from your 7800gt before you installed the 8 series drivers...

Yes, obviously. I'm not a moron. Uninstalled, booted into safe mode, DC PRo'd, Installed new drivers, rebooted.

MadMan007 said:
Run. Mem. Test.

It would be pretty ironic if NVs own chipset was the prime cause of this problem wouldn't it? :p

We. All. Have.

If you'd have followed the nVidia forums link you'd see that most of us (Myself included) are Memtest stable, prime stable, and an assortment of "burn-in" apps stable.

Regardless,

XXXXXX
I may have found a fix.

After trying literally a dozen drivers I was pointed towards a VERY old driver (Nov, 8 2006).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_97.02.html

I had been through so many other packages including guru3d drivers and the like. This old release may have done it for me. I haven't crashed in nearly a day and I'm running my game at DX9 as well without graphics issues.

Can anyone who is having the issues please try this package and let me know if it works for you?
XXXXX

Update: Crahes, again. Try em out, maybe it'll work for you. The crashes took longer this time, but the same thing went on.

Thanks,

Ex

Last edited:
Also you probably bought the cheapest card which uses the cheapest components... BFG or EVGA. I went asus and had no problems what-so-ever.

You have got to be out of your mind.

The single worst manufacturer I have ever dealt with with respect to customer service / tech support / product returns is Asus. I had so many defective products from them, and they just didn't even answer their emails.

BFG on the other hand has live tech support, 24h/day, located in the United States, and will overnight you brand new replacement parts for as long as you own the card, and even after you transfer it to someone else they can continue to use the warranty. I have an eVGA card too, and it has worked like a tank for years (GeForce 5900 and an MX4000). I'd buy eVGA again in a heartbeat. Generally the only brands I will NOT buy are Asus and Chaintech. (Chaintech's CS isn't much better... had a defective card, RMA'd it, got another defective card, and they proceeded to ignore me...)

I'd say BFG is the single best card manufacturer out there right now, bar none. eVGA is probably number 2. I'd put Asus near the bottom.

That would explain why people are having problems with the 8800's!

MRD said:
That would explain why people are having problems with the 8800's!

well really its to random of a problem to chase down the culprit, as far as Asus goes in the past their rma sucked, latley I have seen many people very pleased with the service. I also have to add ASUS INTEL BOARDS KICK *** !!

MRD said:

The single worst manufacturer I have ever dealt with with respect to customer service / tech support / product returns is Asus. I had so many defective products from them, and they just didn't even answer their emails.

BFG on the other hand has live tech support, 24h/day, located in the United States, and will overnight you brand new replacement parts for as long as you own the card, and even after you transfer it to someone else they can continue to use the warranty. I have an eVGA card too, and it has worked like a tank for years (GeForce 5900 and an MX4000). I'd buy eVGA again in a heartbeat. Generally the only brands I will NOT buy are Asus and Chaintech. (Chaintech's CS isn't much better... had a defective card, RMA'd it, got another defective card, and they proceeded to ignore me...)

I'd say BFG is the single best card manufacturer out there right now, bar none. eVGA is probably number 2. I'd put Asus near the bottom.

I agree, I've owned two ASUS GFX cards and both have crapped out on me within the first few months of purchase. ASUS pretty much just ignored me BOTH times, and I never did get to RMA them. My old ASUS P4P800 mobo zonked out on me too and same thing with that. I haven't bought an ASUS product in over 3 years because of the hassle(s). Since then I've bought 3 EVGA cards and all are still fully functional today.

I built my buddies P4 system like 2 years ago on an Asus board and I had to call tech support and it was like taking your head and beating it against a brick wall. Heck it may have been more painful. When I built my system I started with a DFi and after 3 RMA's I switched to an ASUS board only to find out my PSU was killing my DFi's. I really like my ASUS board... I have had it for 11 months now and it is still going strong.

Moral of the story is ASUS makes good mobo's but their tech support sux. I have no experience with them and vid cards but I tend to buy EVGA on the nVidia side and ATi branded on the ATi side.

All-in-all I am pretty happy with ASUS and love their mobos but I get a little peeved off a their tech support. I buy from the Egg and just deal with them as long as it is within the year warranty. I figure it is their job to bother with the manufacturer.

Asus tech support has come a long way in recent months, I had an issue with them 2 years ago and it wasnt too too bad but I would hope its much better now.

I am sure they are improving as tech support and customer serv is becoming a bigger and bigger selling point. I know that is the reason I buy EVGA.

2Foolish said:
Sounds like you got a defective card to me, I doubt it has anything to do with Nvidia. I own an 8800 and have had NO problems, it's probably your motherboard / powersupply and card combination. Also you probably bought the cheapest card which uses the cheapest components... BFG or EVGA. I went asus and had no problems what-so-ever..

MRD said:

I agree 100% .. I really dislike 12 year old fan boys :( It is fine to state that you prefer ASUS but don't bash other companies like EVGA and BFG because those are great companies.

Rattle said:
all the 8800's are made by asus LOLS

Actually all the reference design cards (eVGA, BFG, XFX, etc, etc) are built by Flextronics in China.
Flextronics is to NV cards what Sapphire is to ATI cards. Asus does build there own.

Viper

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have had my rig (with asus 8800gts) for just over a week now and have seen no disturbances while gaming, nor have I got a BSOD. I have only played FEAR and HL2:E1, but both ran fast and flawless.

Here's hoping I dont post back here in another week to revoke my good fortune.

ViperJohn said:
Actually all the reference design cards (eVGA, BFG, XFX, etc, etc) are built by Flextronics in China.
Flextronics is to NV cards what Sapphire is to ATI cards. Asus does build there own.

Viper

ahhh i seee

thanks

Back