• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please get nVidia to Acknowledge, diagnose, and Fix this issue! Please read.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ViperJohn said:
Actually all the reference design cards (eVGA, BFG, XFX, etc, etc) are built by Flextronics in China.
Flextronics is to NV cards what Sapphire is to ATI cards. Asus does build there own.

Viper

Neato, I didn't know that.

I have major problems with my 8800 and Call of Duty: United Offensive. The stuttering is terrible, and it's all the drivers fault.

Instead of "ASUS IZ T3H SUXX" let's try to help this guy solve his problem.

excelsior said:
2x Opteron 252 Troy Processors
Asus K8N-DL Motherboard
2x 512MB Corsair TWINX Registered ECC XMS
BFG 8800 GTS 640 MB
2x 250GB WD Caviars in Raid0 plugged into a RocketRaid card
1x 120Gig Seagate drive (boot)
Fortron BlueSomething 520W PSU

First of all, your setup is a somewhat atypical since it's a server or at least you're using a server board. Do you have another board or know someone who has a normal board with pcie slot? If so, if you could get it to run well in that board, that would mean there is a compatibility problem with your board. (edit: This is the most likely problem)

Your psu is a fortron bluestorm. You said you checked it's voltages. Did you do this with a multimeter or did you use software on the computer?

Have you tried other ways of testing 3d stability? If you can get it to pass/fail other kinds of 3d stabily tests besides games, that would narrow down the scope of the problem. I would recommend using atiTOOL, turning on "3d view" and let it run for a few hours (remember to turn off your screensaver). You could also run a 3dmark loop for a few hours.

That's all I can think of right now, I hope you get the problem fixed!

I have a PNY 8800GTX, I get the same texture issues in HL2 and CS:S as you do. Hopefully it will get fixed in the next driver release, Falling back to DX8 cures it, but who wants to do that with a new vid card?

booze said:
I've experienced the same errors with the following setup.

Relevant specs

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
2x EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS2 3GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Windows Vista Ultimate

I haven't even gotten to the point of using 3d apps. I still get random BSODs when I'm just running the system. I don't think its very fair how some of you guys are shrugging this off as just a bad card. It seems from what I've read that its a problem for lots of people. Just because it isn't for you, doesn't mean we're incapable or inexperienced.

That is because you are using Vista, Nvidia only has a BETA driver out for it right now. Not worth complaining about.

I have a GTS in my system and was experiencing the BSOD's and some video lockups. But after removing nTune from my system, doing a reg sweep to make sure, then a driver reinstall, all my issues went away. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Well here's my problem with putting the blame purely upon NVs drivers and nothing else: while there are people experiencing issues, and there are some game-specific issues, there are a whoole lot of systems out there running just fine.

What that means is any problem is not down to NVs drivers alone. While NV may be able to fix the error with a driver patch it's over the top start some kind of witch-hunt petition for it, reporting the issues in detail are what they need. Chances are it's some kind of software or hardware conflict, a certain combination of hardware and software that causes it, or some other hardware or software defect that only shows up in specific cases. If that's the case it's no wonder the problem is hard to track down.

Don't you ever bash EVGA :mad:
I had some of the best service come from them. I had 2 7800GTs in SLI, and an EVGA 939 board a while back. When I first set it up I had pink artifacts all over 3D applications. I called them at 3:00am EST and actually got a person on the phone who told me all techs were busy and to leave my number. I left my cellphone number to which I received a call 15 minutes later. The tech was in the US and very polite. Asked me a few simple questions (is your PSU powerful enough, etc.) after he realized I wasn't the average joe shmo dumbass he treated me with respect and we both came to the conclusion that it was a faulty SLI bridge. He didn't ask me for my warranty information, he didn't ask for any serial numbers. All he said was "whats your address" and it'll get shipped out as soon as we can. I got a new SLI bridge in 2 days with no request to send the old one back. All i can say is props to EVGA.

To me, good quality means that my hardware lasts until doorstop stage. i.e. to the point where it's so slow and crappy that I don't know what to do with it, but I can't throw it out because it still works perfectly well. I don't really care if motherboards last 50 years, I don't expect I'll have much use for an athlon xp in 2057. I like to decide when to stop using it though, not have it decide.

PNY is one of the worst companies for that. All their video cards come with a "lifetime warranty". On the surface, you'd think that it's like BFG's lifetime warranty, i.e. your lifetime. It's not. Read the fine print. Here's the actual text:

Lifetime Replacement warranty does not cover items out of production if PNY no longer stocks them. (Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product.) This warranty is not assignable.

So basically, say you buy a video card on March 1 with a lifetime warranty from PNY. That video card ceases production on March 2. That video card breaks on March 3. Well, the video card is no longer produced, so that lifetime warranty no longer covers it. You also can't transfer it to anyone else, unlike the BFG warranty, which you can transfer to another person if you sell the card, and which is then valid for his/her lifetime.

No thanks, I'd rather just have a 1 year or 2 year warranty, at least that's not deceptive marketing.

As for EVGA's tech support, I have no experience with it... my 3 year+ old EVGA card is working like a tank. So they definitely get points for that.

Had my 8800GTS for 3 weeks now, no issues with card. Playing Battlefield Midway, BF2, BF2142, HL2 EP1, SH3, MOHAA (and expansions). No stuttering or anything, card runs smooth as glass.
I installed on a fresh load of windows and am running the Jan Driver release.

MRD said:
You have got to be out of your mind.

The single worst manufacturer I have ever dealt with with respect to customer service / tech support / product returns is Asus. I had so many defective products from them, and they just didn't even answer their emails.

BFG on the other hand has live tech support, 24h/day, located in the United States, and will overnight you brand new replacement parts for as long as you own the card, and even after you transfer it to someone else they can continue to use the warranty. I have an eVGA card too, and it has worked like a tank for years (GeForce 5900 and an MX4000). I'd buy eVGA again in a heartbeat. Generally the only brands I will NOT buy are Asus and Chaintech. (Chaintech's CS isn't much better... had a defective card, RMA'd it, got another defective card, and they proceeded to ignore me...)

I'd say BFG is the single best card manufacturer out there right now, bar none. eVGA is probably number 2. I'd put Asus near the bottom.

Wow, i've -never- had those kinds of probelms with Asus. I've always gone to helpdesk.asus.com or emailed [email protected] and had a response within an hour or two. I just RMA'd my P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe last week in the morning, and got an RMA number by lunch.

Never personally had an issue with an Asus board that actually turned out to be the board since the CUV4X i had. The last video card i had to RMA was an EAX700

~ Gos

Iv never had a problem with asus either. I had to RMA my motherboard with them, so i sent it 2nd day air, and they recieved it so completely warped that it looked like someone sat on it for the whole plane trip. They sent me an email with a picture asking if i sent it out like that, i said no, they said they would try to fix it, if not, they would send me a new one.

I was very pleased with asus, only thing i can complain about is there driver download site being SOO SLOWWW. but oh well

That BSOD isn't officially the dreaded infinite loop, because it's not 0x000000EA, it's instead 0x0000007E, which is more likely to mean a non-video card related problem, possibly CPU OC-related.

I know this thread is somewhat old, but was their any official/unofficial reason for these problems?

I'm having the exact same problem, but in my case its a lot more prevalent. Not only am I getting the BSOD periodically and for no apparent reason, any time I start up a anything that renders 3d objects it crashes.

To clarify things, I received all my computer parts bran new, I initially started with original BIOS 03xx version on the ASUS 650i, and up to date drivers. Now this was with a clean install of windows XP, first game I loaded was vanguard, once it went to the character creation screen(3d rendering) it crashed the system. I tried to load another game that came with the GTX, Dark Messiah, now this is what bothers me, it ran just fine at high resolutions, until I got to a certain part of the game, where the terrain opened up, crash.

Not knowing this was a common problem and thinking their might be a fat chance in :mad:, I installed Vista since I received a free copy being in a CS program. This is where the BSOD made it virtually impossible to get anything done, randomly every 20-45mins. Same issue with both games when I tried to run them. In both cases I had current drivers.

I have since then reinstalled XP, and the latest BIOS 06xx for the ASUS. thinking I had a voltage issues I tweaking them, I even tried different plug-ins and power strips...to no avail.

So im wondering, is this a driver issue? Should I RMA the GTX? I’m actually thinking about taking a step back from the DX10 cards all together.

BSOD or Just System Lock-ups

I AM HAVING THE SAME F-ING PROBLEM!!! WTF!!!

- System is stable as hell when benchmarking with mad overclocks
- System crashes when entering any game after about 1-5 minutes
- Mouse will slow or freeze for about 5-10 seconds before BSOD or Lock-up
- Error code usually reads faulty video card driver (at least that's what is says on the MS website)
- Sometimes there's something about a cyclical error or something like that (mentioned in a post above)

In my opinion it's the Drivers for
1) The Video Cards
2) The Nforce 680i Chipset

Typically, you don't get solid drivers until there are at least 3 publicly released revisions

MY SETUP: (pictures can be seen here)
Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
Intel Quad Core Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor (Water Cooled)
2x EVGA SuperClocked GeForce 8800GTX ACS3 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card (Water Cooled)
Galaxy 1000 Watt Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1111MHz (PC2 8888)
Windows Vista Ultimate (use to run this here's why I don't)
Windows XP Professional SP2

Don't even talk about RMA because that's not the issue here. (this sounds mean, but not intended to be :) )

If you're experiencing CPU INIT or DET DRAM errors please see this thread:
http://www.trickmasterpc.org/showthread.php?t=52

I have had a gtx and have a 8800gts 320 and have another 8800gtx on the way, never had any type of bsod problem or crashing...

Back