• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help a newb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GriffithStrife

Registered
Hello I have been researching building a new PC for the last few months I finally decided what I wanted.

I was all set on a Thermaltake level 10 GT case and buying all my cooling system parts separate. But then I found a store here in town with a Level 10 GT LCS case for only $140 dollars. there was no way in my mind I could pass it up. The standard case was 200 so I figured worse case scenario I replace some of the cooling parts it comes with.

so now here I am about to start and I have no clue if these parts that come with the case are good, bad or ugly.

I read the stickies and I googled as much as I can but I am still lost on my specific question is any of the cooling stuff that came with my case worth using? If so which stuff? And what do I replace the crap stuff with?

The Parts I am using consist of the case I already mentioned, Asus z97 pro wifi motherboard, Intel 4790k CPU and a 280 or 290x GPU.

I will only be cooling the processor for now though, I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

For a first timer, custom watercooling is just not a good idea at all. would you buy a 1300CC Suzuki Hayabusa as your first motorcycle?

You sound like you're building a computer for the first time here. I suggest you just pick a big air cooler like an NHD14. It would have been nice if you had a more conventional case to work with as well.

I have built PCs before just not recently last build was about 14 years ago. I want to go liquid cooling just trying to figure out if I have any usable pieces.

Welcome to OCFs.

First and foremost, the process of watercooling consists of researching and reading LOTS for days, weeks and even months till you feel confident enough you got the jest of things and you have a blueprint/idea of how your loop will be and what cooling components are needed. You THAN look for a case that will store said components with no issue. This process makes a huge difference compared to jumping the gun and buying a case and than saying I want to go custom cooling. Well than chances are you'll need to mod/chop up the case you bought or if its too much trouble nothing will fit.

Stick with a air cooler because the case you pick imho is horrible for custom watercooling. That case has been around and for the money you could have gotten a newer water cooling friendly design. I would return it asap and get a full refund if you have the option to if you're really set on water cooling.

With that said, I would stick with air cooling for the time being.

I agree with the others, the stuff with that case is pretty low on any scale, if this will be your first wc build if you don't read A LOT, our stickies are a great place to start, case moding is a great place for pictures, you'll need them, if you don't go weeks of reading and looking you'll have water in the wrong place and a rig to start your bone pile with., trust us, we have all done it ourselves and it has a very high cost.

So you are telling me the case I bought that was made for liquid cooling is not good for liquid cooling. I can't even air cool with this case because it is already set for liquid cooling.

Guys the case is not returnable, are you guys telling me I can't just buy a different CPU block that will work here with my 4790k?

I am not trying to build the greatest water cooling system ever just a basic system that works.

I have been reading and watching and planning for weeks and everything I heard about this case was positive.

I don't want to sound unappreciative, because I am glad for the help but guys is there no way to use this pump and reservoir with a new CPU?

If I can what block, and if the pump and reservoir are no good what do you guys recommend for someone more interested in the looks than in the cold?

Yes I don't claim to be a hardcore guy, I just want the cool look, I haven't built myself a PC in a long time so I want stuff I don't need.

But I am being honest not pretending to be a bad *** I also know about the maintenance issues and have no problem with that either.

for anyone looking this is the case and the parts it came with

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001789

The only issue I know for sure is the CPU block won't fit the CPU I bought the Intel 4790k.

But I don't know what block to buy.

you can get a block for your 4790k and use the rest of the system, it's a big pond 760, I have one in my gigantic junk pile. just get a better block and start from there.
the tt block is horrid at best.

they changed the block and rad, throw it in, give it a whirl and report back, don't get your hopes up to high. please do your reading in our water cooling section first.

Yup, its a Bigwater 850GT. We steer away from those since they are problematic but if you must use than you must.

You could replace the water cooling system with your own custom one and just use the case. The case looks like it could fit a 120.2 up top but make sure measurements are done if you do decide to overhaul the cooling system. You could get a H20 kit for around $150-$250 for a CPU only loop. The price difference is because of the difference in pumping power. Here are two great beginner kits we recommend to many. XSPC Raystorm 750 AX240 Kit or a better pump version XSPC Raystorm AX240 D5 Kit. I would advise going with the D5 variant if you think you will be adding to the loop down the road, say for example the GPU and extra heat surface. Other than that both are great kits and should fit in your case but again I would double check to make sure the radiator fits up top with the fans installed internally. Only thing I would replace in the kit is the tubing to Primochill Advanced LRT (Clear or your choice of colors) and maybe the fans. Fans could get you anywhere from 1c-3c average delta temp improvements. Other than that its a kit ready to go with everything needed included. All you would need is distilled water and a silver kill coil or biocide.

If you stick with the Bigwater than I would advise on replacing the CPU block as well with a used one since the original doesn't have the newer brackets for the newer sockets and by design won't be as good of a performer to the ones out now, if I recall correctly. I also believe the radiator is made from aluminum as all big waters are if I recall correctly. The pumps are prone to die out eventually or not strong enough for a more complex loop. (CPU + GPU)

Again, you could go with what you have but change the CPU block but if the radiator is aluminum internally, it won't sit well with any CPU waterblock for that matter.

Let us know where you stand.

Thanks guys I after looking at the blocks I think I like the raystorm the best it looks cool and fits my budget.

If I was to go ahead and replace the radiator too what kind of work load would that mean? I know with the unit installed now I can just unscrew it and pull it out. Would the RS240 be something I can just screw in or would it be something with multiple parts.

I would like to use the pump and reservoir that came with the case for a little while 3 or 4 months than upgrade those too.

also can I use the fitting from the Block I have now and just put them on the Raystorm or is that not recommended?

I also just want to thank you guys not only have you put me on the right track, but you guys are also saving me time dealing with bad parts and I really appreciate all of the help.

The difference between the 750/D5 pump kits is their radiators. The AX series is their newest design of radiators and its thicker than the EX.

AX Series

The AX is a new premium radiator from XSPC. The AX series combines a high performance copper/brass radiator core with a compact and beautifully finished aluminium enclosure.

The AX’s core is a high performance evolution of the popular EX radiator series. The core includes advances from the EX series like welded seam tubes and splitter fins, but with a thicker core (21mm vs 16mm) and increased surface area.

The radiator core is fitted inside of a 3mm thick, extruded and machined aluminium shell. The screw holes are precision cut by CNC which eliminates misaligned screw holes and gives 3mm of screw thread. The aluminium shell also provides a perfectly flat surface to mount the fans against, which eliminates air gaps and any need for a gasket.

EX Series

Introducing a new generation of performance PC radiators. The EX series combines the low profile design of our RS series radiators with the high performance of our award winning RX series. This feat has been possible due to several manufacturing advances including, split fins, improved soldering techniques, and welded seam tubes. The EX series has been designed and optimised for low speed fans, so it can offer high performance cooling at very low noise levels.

AX240 Dimensions

ax240-schematic.png

EX240 Dimensions

ex240-schematic.png

Now the good thing is you have options of what will fit on top of your case. Better yet, measuring your existing radiator and fans which are usually 25mm is a start. If it was up to me and had the room up top, I would go with the AX240 D5 kit and if funds were tight than the AX240 750 kit. If you don't have the room than the EX240 is a no brainer. Mind you both radiators seem to be roughly 5mm difference in thickness. Take also into consideration of the other measurements as well.

Hope this helps.

Well I don't know if I measured correctly, but I am pretty sure the EX240 750 kit will fit fine if the fans are not much bigger than the fans that come with the Bigwater. I am not sure but I think the fans should be the same size, I placed my order today and will let everyone know the out come.

I really can't thank everyone enough for the help, if not for you guys I would of been stuck messing with garbage I am pretty sure the radiator is already messed up.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
If it's at all possible I would urge you to go to an affordable, conventional ATX case like a Corsair 200R, and pick up a Hyper 212 Evo cooler, and go that route. SO many things can go wrong your first time water cooling.

If it's at all possible I would urge you to go to an affordable, conventional ATX case like a Corsair 200R, and pick up a Hyper 212 Evo cooler, and go that route. SO many things can go wrong your first time water cooling.

I don't understand you, I appreciate your advice but I don't understand it.

If I buy a normal case and install an air cooler how will that help me in any way? You keep telling me water cooling is difficult and I understand and agree with you. But I could air cool this case, why a new case and air cool it.

I appreciate your help but I truly don't get what you are saying, are you telling me to liquid cool? Or are you telling me to buy a different case and fan instead of the EX 240 and water cool later?

If I wait what advantage would I have, I have read over 15 hours of stickys from here and other sites I have watched at least 8 hours of you tube video installations.

The only thing I could see helping is if someone in Houston let me watch them put a cooling system together.

And I don't know anyone here in town to do that for me.

I also want to apologize if I sound like an *** I swear I am genuine in my thanks and appreciation but I am also sincere in not understanding your advice.

The only thing I could see helping is if someone in Houston let me watch them put a cooling system together.

And I don't know anyone here in town to do that for me.

This is a great video I post to some. Ironically they are using a XSPC kit as well.

This is just as good as in person imo. Have any questions or worries, come back here and post.

For what you want to cool. The EX240 with some 2000rpm fans. I see no problem with the case you mentioned. Since you already got the case. Go with what you have, should be fine. EX240mm Raystorm water block. Some Corair SP120 fans. Get a pump with reservoir combo, fitting and hose. You are good to go.

For what you want to cool. The EX240 with some 2000rpm fans. I see no problem with the case you mentioned. Since you already got the case. Go with what you have, should be fine. EX240mm Raystorm water block. Some Corair SP120 fans. Get a pump with reservoir combo, fitting and hose. You are good to go.

I am pretty sure the EX240 will fit fine if the fans are not much bigger than the fans that come with the Bigwater.

I believe he mean't the EX240 750 kit. The only thing I would only change is the tubing to Primochill advanced LRT and if funds aren't an issue than with some nicer fans all while still adding some distilled water and kill coil. Plus he won't need 2000 RPM fans for that rad. It's optimized (low FPI) for low speed fans.

I believe he mean't the EX240 750 kit. The only thing I would only change is the tubing to Primochill advanced LRT and if funds aren't an issue than with some nicer fans all while still adding some distilled water and kill coil. Plus he won't need 2000 RPM fans for that rad. It's optimized (low FPI) for low speed fans.

I edited my post to say 750 kit, thank you.

Back