• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help, this is driving me crazy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AC Slater

:temper: :mad:

Ok here is what I've been dealing with on and off for the last 3 weeks.

3 weeks ago: My computer randomly rebooted. I opened up the case because it was rather odd, and I felt the power supply...it was like 1000000 degrees. I noticed when I turned it off and then back on that the fan inside of it, an Antec True Power 420 or whatever the 400 wattish one is, wasn't working. So I decided to put an extra case fan I had around next to it to cool it off. It worked fine for about an hour and then BAM....reboot. I said I don't want to deal with this crap and I ordered up a new Fortron 400 watt with a kewl blue light in it. That showed up 3 days later and worked like a champ for about 6 hours and then....reboot. I was like wtf, this is really odd. I took out one of my drives, a Seagate 80GB Cuda IV and decided that I would rma my motherboard.

2 Weeks ago The motherboard was sent back to Newegg and I had a spare Epox 8kha+ that was doing nothing except being a boring mp3 server so I decided that I would hijack that and make it my PC till my DFI board came back. I threw in the 80GB Seagate, Radeon 9500, and a 512MB stick of Corsair XMS PC3200 that was in my DFI board into the Epox. I decided just to use the same 1600+ that was already in the board instead of my Tbred B 1700+. This setup worked like a champ and gave me no problems, excluding the fact that it was a lot slower than my other setup.

Yesterday: After Newegg refunded me (I asked for a repair rma but they refunded :confused: ) me my money I again purchased a DFI Infinity that I had before. It showed up yesterday and I threw it back into my case along with all my other parts (Radeon, Ram, HD, etc.). I attempted to format and reinstall Windows XP on my 160GB drive but it gave me the same freakin error it was giving me 3 weeks ago :mad: . I figured then that maybe the MBR was toast so I ran the recovery console from my XP disc and ran fixmbr and got this:

http://home.comcast.net/~roost0r/fixmbr_easy_read.JPG

Each time I press Y to do that and then run it again I get the same error "An Interrupt 13 hook was detected". I tried to do some research on what that meant and I guess it was a virus created in 1990, maybe someone here will have more insight on it. Anyway, I decided to try a chkdsk /p and this is what happened:

http://home.comcast.net/~roost0r/chkdsk.JPG

Doesn't seem like anything special to me but maybe I'm not seeing something. So then I decided to run Powermax since the two drives in the PC right now are 160GB and 60GB Maxtors, my Seagate is in a USB 2.0 enclosure now. I ran both the quick test http://home.comcast.net/~roost0r/basic_test.JPG and the advanced test http://home.comcast.net/~roost0r/advanced_test.JPG with both passing. I then ran Partition Magic 8 and found this http://home.comcast.net/~roost0r/partitionmagic8.JPG which I thought the fixmbr would fix but it didn't. My last effort was to run the Maxblast and it said it was recreating the mbr but the same problems keep happening. Now everytime I start up the PC and don't press a key for a boot cd I get this http://home.comcast.net/~roost0r/bootfromcd.JPG . If I do press a key before that comes up it starts the windows XP installation but after the formatting and copying of files is done it reboots and then says 'Error loading OS'. Any ideas on wtf is going on here? I am stuck using this laptop which isn't so bad but I can't play many of my games on it. I was going to just install Mandrake 9.2 on the pc and it seemed like it was working but I never let it fully install. I want to dual boot XP and Mandrake and I know how picky windows is about being on the drive first.

If you need some clarification let me know, I'm pretty furious right now and not all of this may make sense. If it doesn't tell me and I'll try to explain some more.

autoMATTic said:
This is what I would do. Boot up your computer with the bootable Maxblast on a floppy disk and format your drives.

I've done that and it still gives me the same error. Maxblast acts like every thing is great but Windows will not install.

AC Slater said:
:temper: :mad:

After Newegg refunded me (I asked for a repair rma but they refunded :confused: ) me my money I again purchased a DFI Infinity that I had before. It showed up yesterday and I threw it back into my case along with all my other parts (Radeon, Ram, HD, etc.). I attempted to format and reinstall Windows XP on my 160GB drive but it gave me the same freakin error it was giving me 3 weeks ago :mad: .

When you first got your DFI board back did u first try to format it with the Windows XP CD or are you using the maxblaster 3 in Windows. I was talking about the Maxblaster 3 that you boot your computer up with. Not the one that works under windows.

Check in your BIOS for something mentioning Virus Protection, Antivrus, or the Boot Sector. Some BIOSes have an option in them to prevent boot sector viruses from touching it and causing an infection. However, even if a normal program messes with the MBR, the BIOS will deny the request. This could explain why fixmbr didn't work, and why it kept complaining of an int13h.

I assume you've tried zeroing the drive with Maxblast in addition to formatting?
JigPu

autoMATTic said:
When you first got your DFI board back did u first try to format it with the Windows XP CD or are you using the maxblaster 3 in Windows. I was talking about the Maxblaster 3 that you boot your computer up with. Not the one that works under windows.

I first tried to format with the XP cd, after that didn't work I downloaded Maxblast from Maxtor and booted from a floppy to it.

JigPu said:
I assume you've tried zeroing the drive with Maxblast in addition to formatting?

Yes I did, I searched on Google for quite some time and some people had success doing that so I tried that as well, but it didn't work. I'll look into the Virus stuff in a second.

Ok all I see is in the 'Advanced Bios Features menu' there is an option to Enable or Disable a Virus Warning. It was disabled and I just enabled it. It is supposed to show a warning message and alarm beep if something attempt to write into the dis boot sector.

Last edited:
Wow this stuff is really messed up. I did another complete low level format, that's nearly 24 hours for the 160GB drive, and tried to install Mandrake 9.2 on there. The install went great, excluding the stupid on board nic problem, and I rebooted. After the reboot the system doesn't even attempt to boot. It either just sits at a screen saying 'Verifying DMI Pool Data' or 'Backup CMOS ... OK!' or if it gets past those two parts it attempts to boot from the cd, even when there is no cd in the drive. I'm going to try to throw the 160GB into my 8kha+ and see if I am getting the same problems. If I am then I don't know what the hell is wrong.

Ok I just threw in the old 8kha+ and Windows is installing just fine right now. Do you think it's safe to assume that this new (it almost looked like a refurb though ) DFI board is fugged or what?

man those boards are fussy. no wonder there is a love hate thing with those boards. gl man hope it all works out. I was stumped reading that thread!

I absolutely loved the board till this stuff started. I had it running at 10x220 for 6 months and then this crap happened. I'm going to RMA this board as well and hope for the best.

Back