• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help; windows won't shut down.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sannakji

Registered
Hi. A few days ago my P.C. stopped shutting down normally. It get's as far as the W7 'Shutting down...' screen but stays there for hours. I have to turn it off by holding down the power button. It also can't go into sleep mode if I leave it for a while. Instead this message comes up.

If there is actually a bluescreen, I've not caught it.

Other than that I've had no issues, though I have noticed websites that should not be running slow at all have started too; or they'll fail to load completely (as in all content). Otherwise though, I'm able to run very intensive games with no issues whatsoever.

Please help. I really hope some of my hardware isn't failing!! :(

Here's what I am running, in case it helps.

W7, Crucial 256GB SSD, i7 3770, ASRock Z77E-ITX.

Any ideas?

Have you had any recent update from Windows? Like ACPI to be specific. Or added any USB peripherals.

Tried installing Ubuntu alongside, seems to be behaving slightly better now, oddly. Will shut down normally sometimes. But Ubuntu won't go on properly either. I used a wubi exe from the website to install it alongside, and it started doing that, until it got to the Languages Pack. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I would imagine that that's a glorified text file; but it took several hours to get a small part into the install of that; and I have a broadband line that can hit 16mb/s so I don't think it's that. Due to the strangeness of this, I definitely think something is up and will most likely wipe my SSD that has my Windows OS on it.

How would be the best way to do this? I'm currently using a re-arm of a Windows 7 trial.I don't have a disk drive either. I installed the trial through USB.

Is there any free program I can use to scan my system to check the health of my mobo/processor/SSD/HDD's/RAM? Because these problems I'm having seem very odd to me.

No new USB peripherals; and I don't know what ACPI is.

ACPI is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. Between windows and your BIOS this controls hardware power management. It seem s that windows is waiting for something to power down that's why it hangs like that. Check in your BIOS and see if you can turn it off. May not be available. Also check your recent updates from MS see if they sent something out related to Power control. There also may be a driver available from asrock

Everything seems to be functioning decently now that I installed ubuntu alongside... PC's are so weird :p

Is there a tool I can use that can show me the health of my hardware? For example my SSD/HDD/Mobo/CPU.

Back