• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with OC problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reckinball

Ok first of all im a noob to this forum so I would like to say hello to all.

My pc build is fairly basic I have an

Asus P5K mobo
Intel E2160 Dual core processor
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 PC2 6400
Visiontek Radion HD3850 video card
Seasonic S12 650 watt power supply

Ok i basically went off of the article on tomshardware which can be found here
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/12/pentium_dual_core/
I have been running my processor at 3.0GHZ by moving the FSB to 333 and moving the CPU Voltage to 1.45
This setup has been working flawlessly for the past year or so. Just recently I have had some problems with my pc not posting in the bios on restarts. I reflashed the bios to an earlier bios, and it started to work again. This had worked for the past month. Tonight on reboot my pc will not get past the post-beep. If I clear CMOS and reboot it will post it will post and enter windows on stock settings. If then i restart and return to bios to run my OC setup when the pc reboots to save bios settings it will not post again, until i remove battery reboot and then load default settings. Ive removed a stick of memory, and also moved the memory to different slots with no difference noticed.

Im thinking that my mobo might be about to bite the dust. Could someone with some more experience help me out.

One more quick note. This all really started after installing some PC3200 DDR2 memory along with my PC6400...I made the mistake of not double checking my memory before installing. Not really sure if this is the culprit or not. I did get it working again after flashing bios to different version. It worked for about a month like this.

Thanks in advance

Reckinball

I never mixed ram like that but from what i've read in the past that could be your issue.

Well the other ram i removed immediately after the pc wouldn't boot. Ive had it working since then. Im trying to decide which part is probably bad. I assume that either the motherboard, processor, or ram is wore out enough that it will not hold an overclock. Hopefully someone can give me a good clue as to which part they think it is. I hate to start spending a bunch of money and not get the right part..

Run memtest86+ on the RAM that you have installed, run it at your oc settings and if you get errors drop it to your stock settings. if memtest passes stock settings then your oc settings might need to be adjusted.

http://www.memtest.org/

Im not sure if i understand about the memtest. My pc will not post with the OC settings, only stock settings now. Is there a way to test with stock settings and oc in that program?

Back