• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Sizzle

I am new to these forums so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I donrt know ifits this is related because there was not much of a difference but I was playing a game(heroes of the storm) and wanted to up the graphics from high to ultra to see the difference. After 2 minutes of playing i hear a loud pop(it might have been 2 quick ones i dont remember) and my computer turned off and i smelled something burnt. My immediate thought was it was my video card but when i try to turn on my pc nothing happens. My headset and motherboard lights are on but no fans or anything just silence. That leads me to think it is the psu but idk. I checked the motherboard and inside the psu and didnt see any blown capacitors or fuses but i am not the smartest when it comes to computers. I am begging for your help but i know it is hard to diagnose online.

Joe,

This is the proper forum for this.

Please list your all hardware, board, CPU, Vid card, etc. by maker, particularly your PSU.

Relax, stay cool and help is on the way.

Nvidia gtx 470 gpu. Msi 790fx-gd70 board. Xpower ps-550wx2n psu. Im sorry but i cant exactly get to the cpu easily unless it is absolutely necessary. I know this isnt the most up to date build but it works dor what i need. On a side note i have left my pc on a lot more than i should have. Almost all the time so that might point more fingers at the psu. Thank you so much for the quick reply by the way.

Basically that is the only hardware info i can provide at the moment witbout access to my pc unfortunately :(

Please list your full system components like you see in my signature.

There's a sticky in the Power Supplies section on how to test your PSU with a multimeter, can you do that for us?

Sounds like it's probably the PSU, Joe. But I wouldn't rule out the motherboard. If it's a cheap PSU or under powered for the demand you were placing on it then that would make me suspect the PSU even more. That's why we are asking for more details as to your hardware. We especially need to know the make and model of the video card, the motherboard and the PSU. And we also need to know what is the wattage rating of the PSU. What CPU are you running and is it overclocked?

I listed my details in a previous message but its not posting them. Idk my cpu off the top of my head but its not overclocked. It was at one point but i turned it down after it was causing blu screens

Back