• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plug and play liquid cooler for HD7870?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Compatibility:

I personally would either do a custom loop or air cool with arctic extreme 3.

My problem with using the Arctic Extreme air cooler is that, for about the same price, I can get a sealed 120mm Corsair liquid cooler that might be very easy to adapt to my 7870. Of course, there is a risk in buying the Corsair cooler and modifying it just to figure out that it won't work. more research is needed to try to avoid that.

Using a custom loop would be ideal but it will also cost much more than other options. I'm going for best performance gain per dollar spent. If I were going to spend as much money I think I would upgrade to a Sapphire 7970. If I could get a complete custom loop for ~$150 I would certainly love to do that. Anyone have one for sale?

There is no selling outside of the classifieds section.. be careful (need 100 posts and ISP/EDU/MIL email).

Its up to you. Personally, I would take the minutes to make that phone call/email to arctic and see if it fits than modding something that may/may not work and blowing its warranty out of the water.

So you would rather mod than make a phone call/email to see if a product made specifically for that fits? Your choice! :)

As far as that artifacting goes. Does that happen immediately? After a while? Have you tried the newest drivers? If you are on the newest, rolled back a version, two? Does it happen in games?

What I would really like to do is buy a sealed cooler that doesn't come with all that extra stuff, which is why I'm considering using a Corsair system and adding all of the other stuff I need to properly cool my card.

The artifacts appear mostly in certain software. Firefox is the one I notice it most in, but that's probably because I've used it more than most other software in the past few days. I haven't noticed any lack of performance or artifacts in any games. My driver is current but I haven't tried rolling back to the previous version. Actually, I don't know if I've even used a different driver yet. The one that is installed now is the first one I've installed.

All what extra stuff? And then in the next sentence you say you want to add extra stuff? Perhaps I'm short some caffeine this morning as that does not make sense to me at this time, LOL! That said, do whatever you need to do. There are plenty of threads showing people modding an H100 to fit on their GPU so its possible on some GPUs. Just not sure on your specific model. I'd personally rather spend less for something I know works (after confirming with arctic) than to mod and cross my fingers. But again, up to you. Good luck and report back! :)

If its only happening in FF but not in games, that is an odd one. I would try a fresh reinstall of your current driver, or find the latest, or roll back and see if that resolves the issue.

All what extra stuff? And then in the next sentence you say you want to add extra stuff? Perhaps I'm short some caffeine this morning as that does not make sense to me at this time, LOL! That said, do whatever you need to do. There are plenty of threads showing people modding an H100 to fit on their GPU so its possible on some GPUs. Just not sure on your specific model. I'd personally rather spend less for something I know works (after confirming with arctic) than to mod and cross my fingers. But again, up to you. Good luck and report back! :)

If its only happening in FF but not in games, that is an odd one. I would try a fresh reinstall of your current driver, or find the latest, or roll back and see if that resolves the issue.

All of those things that come with the Arctic Accelero Hybrid that aren't the pump, cold plate, hoses, or radiator are parts I don't like. The single speed 120mm fan, the 92mm air cooling fan, the cheap aluminum heat sinks, the ugly fan shroud, the thermal paste, etc, are all things that I would be replacing with better stuff if I end up using the ready made system. In the end it will probably cost about the same either way but one way I'll have to void warranties. Hard decision!

It shouldnt be... clearly you want a custom solution. So time to save your money for one.

Here's a couple AIO mods with the 7870
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730902
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733670&highlight=7870+h50

I could cf mine if I really wanted to. My hoses move to where I can make it the size of the original card.
Great links! I was able to use those to find this store, http://triptcc.com/product/h6080100-fan-bracket/, which is owned by overclockers.com member dwooders. He makes the retainer/fan brackets for the Corsair sealed liquid coolers! This is definitely the way I'm going to go, if I can get a bracket in the next couple months, that is. He seems to be sold out at the moment.

I'm definitely not worried about CrossFire for the time being because my motherboard doesn't support it.

Back