• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plugging in a mic=no more sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goremachine

Motherboard: Foxconn P55MX(no sound card)
Windows Vista 64bit SP1

The Problem:
If I plug a microphone into the microphone jack, my system's sound output will eventually cut out completely. The only way to get the sound back on is to restart. Sometime the sound will cut out in a few minutes, sometimes longer. If i open a game like World of Warcraft, the sound cuts out quickly. However, the microphone still records.

If I have a microphone plugged in, my system sound playback stops, if there is no microphone plugged in the problem does not occur.

There are no error messages. Windows says the drivers and sound devices are working properly.

I've tried different sound drivers(Different versions of Realtek and Microsoft's default driver). I've tried different speakers. I've tried different microphones. I've tried not opening games, and only using music playback for testing, I've tried opening different games. In every case the sound playback is guaranteed to cut out IF there is a microphone plugged in.

Any help will be appreciated.

When you installed the drivers, did you install the software package and control console that usually ships with sound cards? If you did, you could try disabling auto-detect of devices that are plugged into the sound card inputs. Try disabling the realtek console completely and use native Win control panel. Also, when you plug in the mic, is it muted by default in the sound control options? Likewise, are any other volume levels off or muted?

To be clear, the problem is that when i have devices plugged into both the line-out jack and the microphone jack, my system's sound playback ceases completely. Winamp won't play files, no windows sounds, no sound in games,etc.

Yes I installed the software package the shipped with the motherboard(don't have a sound card). I uninstalled those drivers and software and used windows' standard drivers and control console. Problem persists. The microphone definitely isn't muted. In fact i can get it to work perfectly; it's just that it won't work for more than a few minutes without causing my system's sound output to cease.

this has been the biggest computer-related headache i've ever had.

thanks for the reposnse, noxqzs

Have you tried jiggle'n around the plug that goes into the jack? The connection could be bad.

1 headphones plugged into Line Out (green jack)
2 microphone in the Pink jack.

I'm guessing this is for a headset so make sure your audio setting know you are using a headset/headphones.

With the headphones plugged in you should'nt hear anything from the desk speakers, only thru the headphones. Thats called, working as intended. ;p

If your headphones are not plugged in and you get no sound with the microphone plugged in, I would suspect a problem with the MB itself.

If you get the chance, I would just try a PCI based soundcard. You seem to have eliminated the speakers and mic as the culprits. If they did not work on another system, I would have thought it to be a loose connection or short in a cable. It sounds like either software/hardware fubar on the sound card.

I tried the latest sound driver from my motherboard's website. problem still occurs.
Im going to try a different operating system, and if that doesnt work I'll either RMA or get a PCI soundcard.

thanks for the responses

Back