• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

poor oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

cpuzshot0fu.jpg

SL6WT [email protected] (1.65v), Abit IC7-G maxII advance, SP-94, antec lanboy, 1gb corsair xms(2x512) pc3200 tccd, thermaltake 480w silentpower, 9700pro aiw

now according to the box my stepping is D1 which is supposed to be good for ocing. however i can't seem to get anwhere without upping the voltage even with the small FSB increases. did i just get a bad chip or is there something else im missing? the screenshot above is as high as i was willing to take it safely and my system specs what i am running now. i am running 1:1 @ 2.5-3-3-5t and the ram will do 250fsb @3-3-3-6t without any problems.

Did you run memtest at those speeds/timings just to be sure it's not producing errors? Did you try to limit the memory to very low speeds to isolate the CPU/MB?

How do you like the AIW pro BTW? I have an old 9000AIW I've been thinking about getting a faster one. Makes for one heck of a media computer. :)

its great for ripping and it runs most games pretty well. i got 80-100fps on the hl2 test thing but when u get more than 20 people on a map the fps tends to suffer. if u like everything on one vid card ie media computer than get aiw. if u just like watching tv and maybe rip a few things every now again all you need is tv tuner card imho. all memtest results havent shown any errors and since i know the ram is tccd im not worried about what it can do. right now i believe either the cpu is just a crappy one or maybe my psu isnt pulling what it should.

You can always test your voltages with a meter at heavy load.

meter as in a program or meter as an actual instrument in which case where would obtain and how would i use?

1.77V is most definately a dangerous setting. I personaly wouldn't go above 1.65V on any Northwood CPU.

yeah i know i took it down soon after reading about the S.N.D.S thread and didn't want that to happen to me. im just confused why my chip wants so much voltage for such small ocs. reading around on average with a good 2.8c northwood i should be able to hit around 3.3ghz on stock voltage.

hey xtreme in your sig is the prescott unlocked? ive been reading about the dropping the multiplier down to get those speeds at low voltage.

to isolate just the cpu/mobo i did try using a divider "5/4" put still got the same results. would it be better just trying to find a prescott thats unlocked or just the same northwood but better stepping? o yeah and for GAT settings i am running t,a,a,d,d. havent been able to get it run street racer or f1.

anyway should i try another chip or maybe switch around some hardware?

Last edited:
A 3.0C sl6wk or sl6wu Northwoods usually has some decent overclocking potential without the prescott heat issue so overclocking on air should not be a problem.
With the proper cooling the Prescott could also become a good choice.
Sorry to hear that Mother Luck did not smile on you when you purchased the 2.8C.

Last edited:
well being as stubborn as i am i just took off my sp94 and double checked all the markings on the chip just in case box was lying to me. yes it does appear my luck does suck after all though i was blessed with tccd ram buying regular corsair xms with this system. however looking at your specs makes me cringe how sexy that oc of yours is.

SL6WT Coasta Rica
3418A395

the only thing i can really think of doing now is what timonex suggested and check my psu with a volt meter. something i have no idea how to do yet i do have a volt meter i believe in my garage that used to put up motion sensor lights. anyone have a guide for dummies on how to test each rail and so on. otherwise i think im throwing in the towel and trying my luck with another chip.

this is the psu i have:

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W001314.htm "W0014"

i have it plugged into a surge protector. maybe i should just plug it straight into the outlet?

Last edited:
What is your max stable overclock at default voltage?
Batboy, he got that speed by setting his VCore @ 1.776V.

Last edited:
max oc on stock voltage is 3ghz....i can get it up to 3.1 but things start acting funny so it's not stable. after that it just freezes at the xp loading screen and restarts. batboy i agree 3.5ghz is great oc but at 1.75v or 1.776 as cpu-z displays it my chip won't live very long. ive noticed a get voltage fluctuations from 1.504-1.52v. im guessing this is just do to how much im actually using the cpu. however the 1.776 is pretty sketchy when it's supposed to be 1.75v s.n.d.s status.

well ive been reading up on the forums and i can see a lot of people really do not like the thermaltake psu's. i do like some others get voltage fluctations and wonder is this keeping me from reaching better overclocks? does anyone have a guide to test my psu voltages? ive noticed in cpu-z and abit eq that the cpu vcore normally reports lower voltages at idle then what it is supposed to be running at in bios.

Last edited:
Back