• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Poor RAM Performance - Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daasgoot

Registered
Hello All,

I just finished setting up my new build.

AMD-FX 6300
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
GeFroce GTS 250
Raidmax 530W psu
2x 360GB 7200RPM seagate barracuda HDD's

*NOTE - mobo and cpu both support 1866 RAM

I set my memory to 1866 in Asus UEFI Bios.
I set my timing to 9-10-9-28 (recommended by G.SKILL)
I set my Voltage to 1.5V (recommended by G.SKILL)

The bios accepts the speed, computer runs fine - no boot issues, crashing, bsod's etc...

The problem I am having is that when i run passmark performance test, the RAM seems to be performing below what is should be.

My benchmarks are as follows:

Latency = 60 ns (lower is better)
Read uncached = 6.7 gb/s (higher is better)
Write = 5.4 gb/s (higher is better)

According to benchmarks from other users - this same ram should be performing as follows:

Latency = 22 ns (lower is better)
Read uncached = 14 gb/s (higher is better)
Write = 11 gb/s (higher is better)

As you can see this is a huge difference.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Let me know what other information you need from me to help determine the problem.

Thanks!

E

I assume you have the modules set up in a dual-channel config. (installed to both blue slots or both black slots)?

CPU-Z shows the following:

Channels#- Dual
NB Frequency- 2207.4
DRAM Frequency- 936.5 MHz
FSB:DRAM- 3:14
CL- 9.0
tRCD - 10
tRP - 9
tRAS - 28
tRC - 45

I have both sticks of RAM installed in the blue slots

I don't see any problems w/ your settings, and the modules are installed in the correct slots. Other than that, check to make sure the Command Rate is set to 1T / 1N.

@daasgoot
Better use AIDA64 or Maxxmem to compare memory transfers.
Without overclocking you won't pass 10GB/s. That 14GB/s result is probably after overclocking ( cpu, imc, memory timings ... ). 22ns is impossible on these cpus. It should be something near 50-60ns.
If you want to have higher memory transfers then set higher CPU-NB clock.

@daasgoot
Better use AIDA64 or Maxxmem to compare memory transfers.
Without overclocking you won't pass 10GB/s. That 14GB/s result is probably after overclocking ( cpu, imc, memory timings ... ). 22ns is impossible on these cpus. It should be something near 50-60ns.
If you want to have higher memory transfers then set higher CPU-NB clock.

Thanks for the information Woomack.

Now I have a follow up question.

My Mobo supports up to 2133, but my cpu supports only up to 1866.

So,

If i overclock my RAM.. will my read/write speeds increase and latency decrease.. or will they stay the same due to my CPU not supporting faster RAM?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks for the help.

E

Both mobo and cpu are supporting 1866. 2133 is marked as overclocking so ASUS won't guarantee it will work with every memory.
1866 is optimal clock for these cpus and above that you won't see big difference in memory transfers unless you set really high CPU-NB clock. In real only memory controler ( CPU-NB transfer ) is limiting memory from making higher transfers but it won't work stable much above 2400MHz.
Simply 2200MHz CPU-NB + 2133 memory will be slower than 2400MHz CPU-NB and 1866 memory.

"Latency = 22 ns (lower is better) "

That sounds way too low/wrong

With my i5 OCed and my 1600 CL7 ram set 1866 8-9-9-24-2T I get 46.7ns and 23GB/s copy, 22.3GB/s read and 20.2GB/s write, that's according to maxxmem2

Back