• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor results with H110 GTX Aio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thanacae

Registered
I have a 3930K, completely stock, with a H110 Gtx (280mm rad) all in one on a custom fan curve meant to hover at 80-100% fan speed when around 70c. However, I manage to get 30-40c idle, and 70c and some degrees under load, for example, playing Pubg or Overwatch (Rendering in premiere, it can rise a bit higher even). Is this as good as I should be getting on this cooler on a stock 3930k?

I personally don't have a huge issue with the temps, however: A. Running hardware hotter than it needs to be likely presents unnecessary stress and wear and B. Ive been interested in overclocking lately (although It may not be necessary just yet haha)

Last edited:
I have a 3930K, completely stock, with a H110 Gtx (280mm rad) all in one on a custom fan curve meant to hover at 80-100% fan speed when around 70c. However, I manage to get 30-40c idle, and 70c and some degrees under load, for example, playing Pubg or Overwatch (Rendering in premiere, it can rise a bit higher even). Is this as good as I should be getting on this cooler on a stock 3930k?

- whats the location of your AIO radiator in the case?
- push or pull fans?
- do you use dust filters on the fans?
- is the pump itself running at high enough RPM?

other then this, friend of mine has the same AIO and he was very unsatisfied with his and replaced the fans with better static pressure fans.

- whats the location of your AIO radiator in the case?
- push or pull fans?
- do you use dust filters on the fans?
- is the pump itself running at high enough RPM?

other then this, friend of mine has the same AIO and he was very unsatisfied with his and replaced the fans with better static pressure fans.

-Top of case
-pull
-yes on dust filters
-pump at max on profile

Tough to say...

What are ambient (room) temps like? Case airflow (where are you fans located and what are they doing) What is your 3930k using as voltage when under load? Run a stress test against it and see where temps max out after 30 mins...

Too high for stock clocks: you should be in the mid high 50's (unless you have a super high ambient temp?).

Pump is working fine IMO (if faulty, temps go through the roof in seconds).

I'd remount the block.

Tough to say...

What are ambient (room) temps like? Case airflow (where are you fans located and what are they doing) What is your 3930k using as voltage when under load? Run a stress test against it and see where temps max out after 30 mins...

Ambient is usually between 68 and 75 farenheight. I have two 280mm intakes at the front, one 120mm intake in the back (in an attempt at more of a positive air pressure). The dual rad is exhausting through the top. Also have a gtx 980 with an open cooler layout (same high-ish temps generally when gaming vs rendering, so I rule out the open cooler as the issue.) I believe the voltage goes between 1.25 and .27 under load. Ill run a stress test in a little bit. Appreciate the help, gentlemen!

- - - Updated - - -

Too high for stock clocks: you should be in the mid high 50's (unless you have a super high ambient temp?).

Pump is working fine IMO (if faulty, temps go through the roof in seconds).

I'd remount the block.

I believe I did remount while I was doing a dust cleanout a couple weeks ago, with no perceptible difference. If I try to remount, is there a good way to verify proper block-to-cpu contact?

if you CPU starts throthling the moment you put any load on it is usually a clear sign, also use quality thermal paste like artic silver.
what case do you, this could also indicate why your temps are high even though you have enough fans.

I dont think there is any throttling... the OP didnt mention it... temps arent there...

Arctic silver pastes are MEH. Most decent pastes, like as5, are within 1-3c anyway. The mount is FAR more important than the paste.

As far as how to know if its a good mount... look at thermal paste spread when removing it. Does it cover the whole ihs? Then its likely good.

Usually you want a case with front/bottom as intakes and top/rear as exhaust. It only changes to intake at the top if it is being filtered since most of the exhaust air will circulate within the case.

I don't think your temps are off the charts. Actually I think they are somewhat the norm for that line of chips or at least in the 60c-70c on load. Now if you were in the 80c-90c+, than yes, that would be of concern.

You could possibly tweak the case air flow, clean filters/rad/fans of dust, reapply TIM with say MX-4, remount and tweak the voltage settings at stock to see what it's willing to work with and go from there.

Usually you want a case with front/bottom as intakes and top/rear as exhaust. It only changes to intake at the top if it is being filtered since most of the exhaust air will circulate within the case.

I don't think your temps are off the charts. Actually I think they are somewhat the norm for that line of chips or at least in the 60c-70c on load. Now if you were in the 80c-90c+, than yes, that would be of concern.

You could possibly tweak the case air flow, clean filters/rad/fans of dust, reapply TIM with say MX-4, remount and tweak the voltage settings at stock to see what it's willing to work with and go from there.

Better not to cross the 55C core temp border (causes instability). 70C is way too high IMO.

But vcore looks high. Lowering it by a good 0.05/0.1v should definitely help.

Better not to cross the 55C core temp border (causes instability). 70C is way too high IMO.

But vcore looks high. Lowering it by a good 0.05/0.1v should definitely help.

I think you're confusing this Intel CPU with an AMD. It has a higher threshold in general or at least most do. As long as the chip isn't surpassing 85c, the OP has nothing to worry about. For longevity reasons, I wouldn't let it go past 80c imo and it probably won't start throttling till it hits 90c+.

I agree that the OP can tweak the voltage to lower the temps a bit if he'd like.

I think you're confusing this Intel CPU with an AMD. It has a higher threshold in general or at least most do. As long as the chip isn't surpassing 85c, the OP has nothing to worry about. For longevity reasons, I wouldn't let it go past 80c imo and it probably won't start throttling till it hits 90c+.

I agree that the OP can tweak the voltage to lower the temps a bit if he'd like.

I am totally confusing threads actually! :rofl:

Yes, was a post for another thread... There is a thread about a PhII x4 980, right? Somewhere? Sometime ?

if you CPU starts throthling the moment you put any load on it is usually a clear sign, also use quality thermal paste like artic silver.
what case do you, this could also indicate why your temps are high even though you have enough fans.

No throttling at any time

- - - Updated - - -

I concur that these temps are safe, but Ive heard of people oc'ing this chip even with air coolers and achieving better results in terms of temps. I suppose I expected this cooler to perform better

I concur that these temps are safe, but Ive heard of people oc'ing this chip even with air coolers and achieving better results in terms of temps. I suppose I expected this cooler to perform better

Lots of variables.

Ambient room temp?
Internal case temp?
Case Airflow configuration?
Liquid flow on AIO?
Pump speed?
Rad's Fan speed?
TIM/Mount?

Not one CPU or system will ever be exactly the same.

Lots of variables.

Ambient room temp?
Internal case temp?
Case Airflow configuration?
Liquid flow on AIO?
Pump speed?
Rad's Fan speed?
TIM/Mount?

Not one CPU or system will ever be exactly the same.

I suppose you are right there. Is there any way to verify if the block is making proper contact with the heatspreader of the cpu?

I suppose you are right there. Is there any way to verify if the block is making proper contact with the heatspreader of the cpu?

Remove the block from the CPU and check it's footprint. The print should be the same size as the CPU's heatspreader.

After remounting the block with fresh paste, and cleaning the dust more thoroughly, my temps now max at around 58c. Much much better than the mid to upper 70's I was experiencing before :)

After remounting the block with fresh paste, and cleaning the dust more thoroughly, my temps now max at around 58c. Much much better than the mid to upper 70's I was experiencing before :)

That's great news. :thup:

Back