• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Port to ACHI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reddace

I have a Gigabyte 880 ud3-h 3.0. mobo. I am getting a new SSD drive. In the bios I would like to know how exactly to change the port 0 where the drive will reside to ACHI mode from IDE mode. I think I would have to leave the port that my CDrom is connected to IDE to be able to boot and install the Window's 7 installation disk. Thanks in advance.

It is an "all or nothing" option. You can't just switch one port. You won't have issues installing as AHCI because Windows has the drivers built in for it.

Cool. So basically, by changing the OnChip SATA Type to ACHI and should be good to go?

Yes, just make sure to do that before you install the operating system. Otherwise, you will have to reinstall or do some fun steps to get Windows to work.

Yeah, I had planned doing it that way. Now, when I go to install Window's 7, all of the ports being in AHCI mode will the CD-Rom boot the disk?

I've never had an issue with it, so I don't see a problem.

Thideras, you were saying I won't have issues installing as AHCI because Windows has the drivers built in for it. I was reading in my mobo manual about making a Sata AHCI driver diskette. I guess that's not necessary with Window's 7?

It should have it, to clarify. If Windows can't detect your hard drive, you will need to make a driver diskette. No harm in trying without making it. Worst thing that happens is you waste 3 minutes.

Back