• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible bios issue with 990FX-Gaming board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kwikgta

At another forum a member was having trouble with a 955 BE chip that he installed on this board. Any change of multiplier results in failure! Hey sent me his chip to try out as I have the Gigabyte 990FX Gaming board on my benching station, and had the exact same symptoms as he described. It will run on the "auto" multiplier settings perfectly, however any change of multiplier (even to the stock one) results in overclocking failure message. I've had at least six different FX chips in this board and they all overclock perfectly, hell my 8370 goes to 5.0 and my 8370e goes to 5.1.
Afterwards I swapped my mobo (just to confirm the chip wasn't at fault) on the benching station to a UD7 that I keep for backup, installed his 955 and quickly clocked it up to 4.0ghz. The chip is fine.
My final thoughts: I suspect a bios issue with Phenom chips and this board. Just a little FYI :)

Of course there is. That has always been Gigabyte's flaw. ****ty bios coding support. That's one of the reasons you get 10 different revisions of the same board over and over again.

Yeah, on a 970-ud3p my 955BE(now not mine) wouldn't overclock any of the cores except the first. Ended up returning that board, and eventually got my current CPU and board.

FWIW, I had problems with my phenom ii and 990fxa. I rolled back one BIOS version and got much better results.

Edit: it's a Rev 4.1 no idea if it will help with your board issues

The board in question is the Gaming edition board, it only has 1 revision.....but thanks :)

Mr Scott was talking about gigabyte's original 970 and 990 runs... They had a crazy amount of revisions...
Actually, You could take that all the way back to the 790 chipset boards at least. The 775 boards were the same way.
It has always been a problem for Gigabyte.

I understand, just saying that since this board is new there is no older bios revision to roll back to.

Ahh I get it now, you are talking bios revisions, Mr Scott is talking hardware revisions...
Both actually. They go hand in hand. You cannot revise a bios if the hardware on the board will not support what you want to revise.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand, just saying that since this board is new there is no older bios revision to roll back to.

You'll probably never see another either. Socket is dead. That board will be good for Thuban or FX only.

Yes sir, I got a 1100 T I plan to try on the board for ****s and giggles. This will be in my backup rig not my everyday driver. :)

Last edited:
phenoms, thubans and fx all do just fine on all my asus 990fx boards, that is as long as i don't use bios 2201 on my ch5f-z board, if i use that the wheels fall off all the wagons..........

Backup rig will be a mix of new and some old stuff I have lying around:
Case: Coolermaster Haf XB Evo
Cpu: Amd 1100T
Mobo: Gigabyte 990 FXA - Gaming
Cooler: Scythe Kama Cross 2
GPU: Msi 970 GTX
Memory: 2x8 G-Skill Sniper
HDD: 4 x 500gb Velociraptors in raid 0
Psu: 800 watt Coolermaster

phenoms, thubans and fx all do just fine on all my asus 990fx boards, that is as long as i don't use bios 2201 on my ch5f-z board, if i use that the wheels fall off all the wagons..........
Not all manufacturers are the same. ;)
FWIW, my Sabertooth hates the Athlon II's.

- - - Updated - - -

Backup rig will be a mix of new and old stuff I have lying around:
Case: Coolermaster Haf XB Evo
Cpu: Amd 1100T
Mobo: Gigabyte 990 FXA - Gaming
Cooler: Scythe Kama Cross 2
GPU: Msi 970 GTX
Memory: 2x8 G-Skill Sniper
HDD: 4 x 500gb Velociraptors in raid 0
Psu: 800 watt Coolermaster

Your backup is better than my 24/7. lol

my haf-xb carries my sabertooth/965 in it, real sweet kit.
I bought an 1100t from kwikgta, have it in my chv-f at 4.2, takes a bit of vcore, but just damn, it runs cool.

my haf-xb carries my sabertooth/965 in it, real sweet kit.
I bought an 1100t from kwikgta, have it in my chv-f at 4.2, takes a bit of vcore, but just damn, it runs cool.

Hey bud, hasn't heard from you. Glad you like the 1100T and very happy it went that high for ya. Hope the other one I just got does as well :)

sorry, I've been a little slack over the spring break, I have it all by myself.

let me know when you're ready to give that one up, starting to love me some thuban action.

Both actually. They go hand in hand. You cannot revise a bios if the hardware on the board will not support what you want to revise.

True, but if Gigabyte didn't need to revise the hardware, they wouldn't have, and would have just issued a BIOS update. My assumption was it was a hardware design issue that bios programming could not resolve :)

That being said, I have not had any issues with my current board, but I have not tried anything other than my FX8320e in it.

Back