• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Comp build - Check please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sirinya

Hi
Just wondering if everyone can take a look and see if everything would be okay. It'll be the first computer I'm building and I'm a bit worried I might buy the wrong thing. The comp will be used for gaming and 3d rendering - probably more gaming XD. I might Overclock it if i dont get scared. lol But then i dont want to use up too much energy if i dont have to. Gotta help keep the CO2 down ... :x
Also any recommendations on changes would be great. If you can get the price down even lower that would be even better. :D Price around 1k or lower would be nice.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

MB: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: 2 CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5

VC: EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

PSU: Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F

Case: Rocketfish BLK Aluminum Full-Tower Case (Rebranded Lian Li)

The Newegg list with all the aboves items and random stuff
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9768528&WishListTitle=new

Or screw all of it due to lazyness and just get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...AutoNotify-_-Content-_-text-_-N82E16883229024

I do have some questions...
~ What is the difference between Home and Ultimate version of Vista?

~What does G0 SLACR mean? I noticed it while I was reading around about the Q6600. If i were to get one... would it work with the motherboard I picked?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on deciding to build a computer. First of all, definately overclock. It doesn't use a noticable amount of power and in the long run getting things done faster reduces your computer usage.

The Q6600 is a good choice. The G0 SLACR is the stepping of the CPU, these overclock better and run cooler than others. This is the one you want.

For the board I'd get a P35 chipset since it doesn't look like you are going to run SLI. P35's overclock better than the SLI boards. The Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L is a good choice for $90.

Your PSU is a good choice but I'd suggest something in the 550-650W range. The Corsairs in that range are some of the best out right now.

I can't tell you all of the differences in Vista but if you go to the official website there is a chart that shows the differences in the models.

Good luck!

Thanks for answering my question :D

I wanted to keep the option of running SLI open cause i might get a second video card in a few months after i move and settle down. Its on my list along with a new monitor and all. Its also the reason why the psu i picked is much higher.

What size monitor do you plan on getting? If it is less than 24" SLI will be pointless. My recommendation in general is that unless you are going to get 2 cards off the bat you probably never will. It is not a knock against you but probably 90% of the people with this mentality don't get around to until the next generation of cards are out where it makes more sense both in performance and financially to sell the old card a get a new one. In the meantime you are stuck with a chipset that doesn't OC nearly as well(particularly quads).

Since you are going with a quad I would not recommend the DS3L. Go with something a little beefier. Newegg has the IP35-Pro for $150AR that would be a nice combo.

Also take a look at the 640GB Western Digital drives. $10 more but it is faster and you get more storage.

Back