• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Possible PSU problems/help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidSteak

So after buying a new video card (Radeon R9 280) and installing it, my PC will no longer turn on and there is no light on the motherboard. After doing some experimenting I have realized that the motherboard light will turn on as long as I don't have the PCI-E power cables plugged into the video card. As soon as I plug those in, no light. Could this mean my PSU doesn't have enough power for my new card? My specs are:

PSU: Corsair TX650W
CPU: intel Q8200 @3.0
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-U3DR
120GB Corsair Force3 SSD
1TB Seasonic HD (not plugged in ATM)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
GPU:Radeon R9 280 (used to be Radeon HD 6870)

Can anyone confirm that I need a new PSU? Recommendations are also welcome.

Psu has plenty of power for that system.

Sounds like the card is messed up though. Presumably those same pcie power leads were used successfully on the previous video card?

Make very very sure you're using PCIe cables and not a 8P CPU cable, they have different 12V / GND locations and you get a direct short of 12V to GND if you use the wrong one. That would give the symptoms you describe (or a loud BANG).

Try a different GPU. Does the same issue occur? Try reseating the GPU. You are plugging the cables in with the system OFF right?
As silly as it may sound verify you are plugging the PCI-e cables in and not the 4+4 cable.
Can you try a different PSU?

I have a bunch of the 650s and have run my fileserver with 20+ HDDs off one with NO issues. Heck I am running almost the same HW (ep45t-ud3lr, OCed Q9300, 8gb, 120gb SSD, 1TB HDD, 80gb SAS, Nvidia GTX 550ti, with Watercooling) currently with no issues.

Curse you Bob, you beat me to it.

Ok guys thanks for help, the problem has been solved! I was trying to use a PCI-E 6 to 8 pin adapter that I thought I needed. Then I realized my PSU has those extra 2 pins after all. After ditching the adapter everything is fine.

Back