• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible solution for extreme-low temperature cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Trial #1 failed horribly, but it was my own fault. Rather than following the directions that came with it (telling me to use a mechanical shaker to mix it up, since it tends to settle), I shook it a few times by hand, and then applied it.

So this morning, after being let down by my own stupidity, I brought the can to my local Flex Bon. They replaced the can it was in (since it was badly dented... Go UPS!!) and threw it in the mechanical shaker for a few minutes. When I got it home, I poped it open, and began to relax a bit. It was a bit thicker than before, and no longer had little chunks floating around in it. I coated another Zephyrhills water bottle, and in one hour (Its 12:35PM here now) I'm going to take some pictures and upload them here before I recoat it a second time.

Nice job being so investigative so that you can further the cause of extreme cooling.

Looks a little pricey, but a gallon ought to last forever for these kinds of computer applications.

I didnt get time to read through the thread completly so sorry in advance. I do insulation and thermodynamics as a living. That pipe wrap most people use to insulate is not all that great. For a great cheap alternative try something called Celotex. You can buy it at home depot for an 8x4 foot sheet. Technically this stuff has the greatest r-value. It has both a built in thermal and air barriar. It is also one of the highest r-rated material available. The only problem is trying to transform a non bendable solid to a bendable pipe. On the bright side this stuff is easy to cut.

One option for a cheap and best peformace alternative would be to cut this stuff in a box around the pipe and use an expanding foam to spray in the box and around the tube. May not look pretty but an option to check out.

Yeah. It was a bit on the expensive side... But hey, I've already spent alot of money in the quest for the perfect extreme cooling alternative. Building the whole thing into a single case, with a dc powersupply that switches on/off with the regular PSU. Matching the color-schemes and everything, not to mention the work I've done to the case itself. Can't wait to post images. I would have had them already, but I also got my xoxide.com shipment in today, and I've been messing around with some of the other mods I ordered. Everything's awsome, except for the stupid little ATX-pin remover. Broke after I already moved 8 pins to the new UV connector. Sliced the hell out of my finger with a utility blade because of it. But anyway... *lol*

As for the thermal paint. I've coated the bottle three times, and its almost perfect. I threw a bunch of ice in it, and filled it with water. I then put the cap on and shook it. I then left it on the table OUTSIDE for 10 minutes. No condensation formed! Though, it was a little cooler than I would have liked... No biggie. I'll just apply a 4th or 5th coat. It really is easy stuff to work with. Posting from a temp computer. I'm going to assemble everything into my new case, and then I'll paint the parts with the nansulate. This is going to be sweet. :)

Okay, I read this and used to sell building materials for Menards and radiant heat is a large factor in insulation and think that wrapping the tubing in insulation is good, but also using reflective tape would reduce the amount of heat transfer significantly.

The best thing is to read about radiant heat here or do a google search for more information.

This is why most a/c and heating ducts are reflective aluminum, wrapped with fiberglass insulation with a reflective barrier over that to minimize heat transfer.

Just my $.02
I'm still debating about making a water chiller myself.

Problems have come up. With the recent disaster known as Charley, I've lost a large chunk of my belongings, as well as most of my computer things. My cousin was nice enough to let me use her computer for a few hours, so I'm posting here. I did, however, manage to save some key components (since the comp was appart, I grabbed my vid card, ram, proc, and the waterblocks, everything else was too large to fit into my car after I put in my clothes/etc) and I will soon be finished recoating a new length of tube with the paint I also saved.

Also, I've discovered the perfect material to put around the painted tube to prevent cracking/wearing. After the tube is sufficiently painted, I spray it quickly with a UV-reactive blue paint. Once that dries, I coat the entire thing with clear heat-shrink tubing. Shrinks perfectly around the tube, doesn't allow any kinks to form, and keeps the paint from cracking at all, even when I slip the end of the tube over one of the barbs. Pics will follow, as soon as I get a house I can live in again... :(

seems interesting. i don't quite have enough money to go watercooled or phase change... so i'm doing the highest overclock i can with air cooling. if i had enough money, i would surely hit up on some of this stuff. they seem great. i've seen many phase change cooled boxes, most of which have tubes going through them with HUGE insulation around them. these products seem like they would definitely free up some space, improve aesthetics, and probably perform even better than the big foam insulation.

nice find :D

Back