• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to use a usb drive as extra RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

One of my memory sticks failed and I’m waiting on the replacement but I want to game. Is it possible to use a flash drive as RAM if you format it correctly?

But it will be significantly slower than using real RAM. Using the flash drive as virtual memory is just what we used to call page filing. Operating systems do that by default using your system drive anyway. So if you have a fast system drive such as an SSD you won't gain anything by using the flash drive as virtual memory. Ready Boost would probably be the best way to go. And use the fastest flash drive you have.

Last edited:
It is possible, but why? As was said, it's exponentially slower than RAM. Hell, even PCIe 4.0 NVMe based storage drives are WAY slower than RAM (storage like this is more commonly used for a RAMdrive).

Just use a single stick. You'll lose some performance and may have to run only that game to make sure you aren't paging out to your storage... you're better off creating a software RAMdisk on an SSD than you are most USB sticks.

Yep I forgot to mention was using the ram stick too. I found out that if you are trying to outsource memory to a usb stick you can only use readyboost.

Surprisingly it was very helpful in improving my games performance.

The replacement stick is in the mail.

It's just a page file space so a space on your storage that is used in case the PC runs out of RAM. You can do that with any other storage device like an SD card. I just have no idea how it can speed-up a computer that has enough RAM and fast enough OS drive.

Turn a USB Drive into Extra Virtual RAM
Rename your thumb drive as "RAM DRIVE" or something similar, so you can see which drive is being used as RAM.
Delete all the stuff on the flash drive. Check for hidden files.
Right-click on My Computer, and go to Properties. Once there, click on Advanced and go to the system output's Settings.
Click on Advanced, and then Edit.
Click on your thumb drive above, and select "user-defined size." Here you can see the size of your flash drive.
Calculate the size of the flash drive, and subtract 5 Mb.
Type this number in the first box. In the second box, type in the same number.
Click Set and confirm all your settings, applying them wherever you can.
Restart your computer.sh, Drive into Extra Virtual RAM.
I hope these details give you some help.

Back