• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential pc build (compatability/changes)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

somePcNoob

Hi guys, thinking of building a pc for myself as our family one is still running a pentium processor from six odd years ago (don't laugh it was good when we got it). I've done some research and the actual building of it doesn't seem too hard, I’m just not sure if 1) all my components are compatible and 2) if they’re the right ones for me. I want to be able to run games like ARMA, Wolfenstein the new order, CSGO on fairly high settings. If I build it then it will be my pc for uni (please don’t go on about how I should get a laptop) so it should last that long before needing updating hugely, and I’m applying for MechEng so there might be some 3D modelling kind of stuff e.t.c. I’m also a tad over budget so any potential price savings would be most welcome. Anyway here is my proposed parts list (all from amazon at the moment):

CPU - Intel Core i5 i5-4690K CPU 3.5GHz Socket H3 LGA-1150) (£169)
Motherboard - ASRock Fatality Z97 Killer (ATX/Z97) (£105)
GPU - Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 (£169)
RAM - HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 (£60)
PSU - EVGA Supernova 650W G1 Gold Modular (£66)
Optical - Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer (£12)
SSD - Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3 (£45)
HDD - WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue (£40)
Case - Corsair Graphite Series 230T ATX Compact Mid Tower (£56)
OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1 (£80)

Total – about £800

Any thoughts and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

Look at the Z97 Extreme6 instead of the Killer.

Check out the new GTX 970, but the 760 will do good for the games you list at 1080p. It'll handle 3D CAD well.

Look at G.SKILL Ares 1866 CL9 2x4GB RAM.

I believe an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W would be about the same price as the PSU you listed. If not, check the Seasonic G-550.

No need for a DVD drive, honestly. I do all my OS/driver/software installs by USB or download these days.

Don't get that SSD, they've had issues. Look at the Samsung 840 EVO.
That said, I would consider dropping the SSD to get a GTX 970 over the GTX 760.

Check out the new GTX 970, but the 760 will do good for the games you list at 1080p. It'll handle 3D CAD well.

I believe an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W would be about the same price as the PSU you listed. If not, check the Seasonic G-550.

No need for a DVD drive, honestly. I do all my OS/driver/software installs by USB or download these days.

+1

+2

However, I say get the DVD/RW. You never know when you'll need to burn a CD for a road trip in an older car with no USB/minijack capabilities. And the drive is so cheap. All you need to do is skip one lunch and you can afford it.

Definitely get the ASRock Extreme 6.

A few notes- if you do get the extreme 6 and the 4690K, you'll want an aftermarket cooler so you can overclock. That's the whole point of a K cpu. If you don't want to overclock, you can get the non-K CPU (save some $$) and get a cheaper B85 or H97 motherboard (about 40-50% the price of what you're looking at now for B85. 60-70% for H97). A really good cheap board in the H97 chipset is Gigabyte's G1 sniper H97. It has impressive features and is only $90 USD (about 50-60GBP).

Having said all that, don't be afraid of overclocking. It is very easy and straightforward on these chips and you can crank a significant amount of extra performance out of the CPU. However, for an average gamer, you'll never notice that performance. It'll show up more in things like photoshop and heavy video editing work. So for you, on a budget, maybe the smartest thing to do is just get the H97 board and non K CPU.

Also I definitely agree with ATM about ditching the SSD and getting a better GPU. Sure, slightly longer load times, slightly longer to load windows, but is it worth going with faster load times to lose a few frames per second in games? I don't think so. I think the primary purpose of a gaming PC is to deliver the most frames per second for a given budget. Adding an SSD with a budget in the "low to low/medium" range is not the best choice IMO. Maybe get the system without the SSD, then, when you have an extra 50-60GBP, pick up a nice quality SSD.

I'm assuming the OP already has a PC (even a laptop) that can be used for the occasional disc burn ;)

Back