• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential RGB software compatibility/issues - looking for advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Groov3st3r

Hey guys!

I'm looking for advice regarding my gaming rig build. I've been doing a lot of digging and researching, and by now I have a pretty good idea of where I'm going with the system.

Still, every time I go to do some more research, I come across new potential issues which then impact the overall system config (or stuff from my wish list is no longer avaialable at X or Y retailer). The system doesn't exist yet and I am still collecting parts (and will be for a pretty long time).

I am looking at 4 major components using RGB lighting through potentially conflicting software. These are:
- Cryorig H7 quad lumi - which I already have, using NZXT CAM
- Asus Strix B350-F motherboard - Aura Sync (good for the price, no need for SLI capability and good M.2 slot location)
- G.Skill Trident Z - Aura Sync again (as the G.Skill own software is apprently known to cause SPD issues with the RAM)
- MSI 1080TI Trio - Mystic Light (chosen mainly for thermal/noise performance and more neutral color scheme than Gaming X)

I know Aura works with Trident, and in fact is the preferred way to control Trident RGB strip for many people. (going by reviews/opinions online)
Does Aura play well with CAM, as I will be stuck with it for the cpu heatsink rgb control?
Will CAM break Trident SPD?
Will trying to run Aura + CAM + Mystic light throw up errors, conflicts or break the ram?
Should I get an ROG STRIX 1080TI instead of the Trio to cut mystic light out and go with Aura all round?

Also, what happens if I tried to run an MSI gpu without mystic light at all? Do LEDs just plain not light up or do they have like a factory preset that just is on all the time? (I know I cannot control it with Aura, I'm talking about no control at all).

I fully appreciate that this is pure speculation and individual experiences will vary (sometimes wildly) depending on minor differences in setups, but I would much appreciate any opinions (no matter how biased) and personal accounts in case anyone has had a similar dilemma. I am open to hardware alternatives/upgrade suggestions as well, it's not set in stone.

As a side note:
I REALLY wish that an actual unified standard would eventually emerge for RGB controllers. Something to stop all this proprietary free-for-all nonsense and enable the end user to easily customise/synchronise their setups with components of their choice, as opposed to being limited to only one brand (realistically) for best experience.
For example, if all RGB components just forfeit RGB control of their own and instead simply become addressable ''light strips'' or zones controlled by motherboard software only... though I understand why things are this way (it's a relatively fresh RGB-everything trend, proprietary software means higher profits through additional sales for each company and coding for compatibility requires a lot of extra effort and expense for little to no gain... it's all business after all). Still, it would be nice to have plug-and-play control over all LEDs regardless of make.

I did corsair link, aura, and cam at same time...irritating. I got rid of all my corsair rgb ram and fans. Went with strix 1080 ti and tridentz rgb's and nzxt aer fans to cut it down to 2 software solutions. I personally didnt like screwing with 3 different venders and not feeling like everything was 100% synced. Last build I did for some else, I used an Asus board, strix gpu, phanteks rgb strips and fans. no adressable rgb, but everything syncs with aura so in that regard, I was more satisfied.

I currently use aura for my mobo and fan, gigabyte gpu software for RGB on the GPU and cam with the smart device for the RGB strips. It's not ideal but that's how it is. I could reduce it by getting a Strix card but that's about it.
Cam is bad but I haven't heard much good about Corsair link either. Ideally I would use aura for everything, downside about AURA is that selecting the right colour can be annoying as it tends to jump about to a different colour after you apply the setyings.

I avoided the Gskill software and just use Asus Aura Sync to control my Strix mb and Trident Z. Didn't want to risk SPD corruption. Haven't had any conflicts with CAM or Corsair Link and CUE. I set the colors on my GPU once with EVGA software and don't have to run it otherwise.

Thanks for your input guys! So it looks like there's hope for this setup after all. While it's not ideal, I prefer the MSI card as it's cheaper and better than Strix, though that may change. At least glad to hear that none of you had game-breaking compatibility issues with CAM and Aura. I'll go ahead and start getting the bits together then!

I shall report back once complete.

TT sync controller premium looks promising. Plugs into rgb header and allows you to sync directly with mobo rgb software. I will pick one up as soon as I see them in stock.

Edit: dang... Only supports 5v addressable rgb headers. If I end up pulling the trigger on x399 tr setup, I will snag one, otherwise sticking with what got for now.

Last edited:
Back