• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply 13 years old, should I be concerned?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This whole thread gives me confidence in my 2012 Corsair AX760 that use to be in my daily gamer old rig. Now it's used in my media centre.
Quality electronics was/use to be a thing! :)

This whole thread gives me confidence in my 2012 Corsair AX760 that use to be in my daily gamer old rig. Now it's used in my media centre.
Quality electronics was/use to be a thing! :)

Absolutely. I don't throw stuff out after upgrades because it's still good stuff and works. Can't bring myself to waste gear. LOL

Absolutely. I don't throw stuff out after upgrades because it's still good stuff and works. Can't bring myself to waste gear. LOL

Yes, too much of a throw-a-way society these days. Think it's got to do with consumer culture & the economic/political structure of it all.
That can be a deep subject.

I have a supply of capacitors and a soldering iron. Most would be amazed at the lifespan of some components if you have those items. I have a Westinghouse monitor from 2007 that I recapped in 2010 because it "died". It's currently the second display in my bedroom rig. LOL

I have a supply of capacitors and a soldering iron. Most would be amazed at the lifespan of some components if you have those items. I have a Westinghouse monitor from 2007 that I recapped in 2010 because it "died". It's currently the second display in my bedroom rig. LOL

I suppose it depends if one is prepared to "get their hands dirty" & actually try to fix stuff. Got a couple of soldering irons myself but not caps.

The same can go for cars & white goods too.

Have a bunch of old CRT monitors & LCDs in storage, don't want to throw any of it out. Call me a miser... I don't care! lol... :D

I am the same way wth keeping stuff. My video card collection is 43 deep going back to cga ISA 8 bit slots!

I have a few CRT monitors on hand foe my true DOS rigs, and some CRT Tv's waiting for my name cabinet build.

All of the old stuff works, just have to know how to use it. Lol

The fingered heastsinks are a distinct givaway of the OEM. They also came in black and off-white PCB. They were pretty reliable from as far back as I remember. In 2004-2008, when I first joined the forums PSU brands/OEMs being discussed were:

PC Power and Cooling: Turbocool. Built like a tank, but they spread a lot of FUD about modular connectors and 140mm fans.
FSP: Good for a while but went downhill thereafter.
OCZ: Hit of miss. Topower OEM units were crap. They would catch on fire.
Corsair: Pretty reliable, with Seasonic as the OEM
Antec: Seasonic and Delta (HCG series)
Ultra: Crap, until JonnyGURU joined them and pushed for better OEMs. Went out of business soon after.
Zippy-EMACS: Gold standard of Server PUSs. They made one gaming unit.
Delta: A tick below ZIPPY. Excellent.
Supermicro: Reliable server OEM, but super loud.
Enermax: Hit or miss.
Enhance: Middle of the pack.
Rocketfish (sold at Bestbuy): Terrible. High failure rate.

The fingered heastsinks are a distinct givaway of the OEM. They also came in black and off-white PCB. They were pretty reliable from as far back as I remember. In 2004-2008, when I first joined the forums PSU brands/OEMs being discussed were:

PC Power and Cooling: Turbocool. Built like a tank, but they spread a lot of FUD about modular connectors and 140mm fans.
FSP: Good for a while but went downhill thereafter.
OCZ: Hit of miss. Topower OEM units were crap. They would catch on fire.
Corsair: Pretty reliable, with Seasonic as the OEM
Antec: Seasonic and Delta (HCG series)
Ultra: Crap, until JonnyGURU joined them and pushed for better OEMs. Went out of business soon after.
Zippy-EMACS: Gold standard of Server PUSs. They made one gaming unit.
Delta: A tick below ZIPPY. Excellent.
Supermicro: Reliable server OEM, but super loud.
Enermax: Hit or miss.
Enhance: Middle of the pack.
Rocketfish (sold at Bestbuy): Terrible. High failure rate.

Still benching on a Turbo Cool 1200. 10 years strong. :thup:

I still have an FSP BlueStorm 530W unit. Remember that weird purble/blue color they came in?

I used to use a ton of Antec 350-400W units prior to 2005, in various builds.

And the Ultra series of PSUs.....I remember it was a competitor in my decision against the SeaSonic, since they had that awesome chrome finish and modular cables.

Ultimately I opted for performance and build quality over aesthetics, and I'm happy for that now!

FSP Bluestorm was decent back in its day, but the newer models took a hit on regulation. They were within ATX spec, but nowhere as good as the upper tier PSUs. As for Ultra, prior to JonnyGURU joining as a product manager (Jon was a product manager at BFG), they would give up the ghost with alarming regularity. Same deal with Topower made OCZ units. Blown switching transistors galore. Antec was also terrible, with their Fujjhyu and Sus'con capacitor fiasco. They sure upped their game with Delta and Seasonic as their OEMs.

Last edited:
FSP Bluestorm was decent back in its day, but the newer models took a hit on regulation. They were within ATX spec, but nowhere as good as the upper tier PSUs. As for Ultra, prior to JonnyGURU joining as a product manager, they would give up the ghost with alarming rregularity. Same deal with Topower made OCZ units. Blown switching transistors galore. Antec was also terrible, with their Fujjhyu and Sus'con capacitor fiasco. They sure upped their game with Delta and Seasonic as their OEMs.

I've noticed this with almost all of the companies that were producing quality products back in that time frame. Even Lian-Li has cut costs on their cases. I remember the quality being very high on the PC-V1000B case that I was using, for 13 years, had gotten BETTER since the release of the PC-60 just a few years before it. Now I have a Lian-Li PC-O8WX, released in 2015 (around 10 years later), and the quality has taken a big hit. Panels are thinner, airflow not very well thought out (even for a case aimed towards custom loops), and absolutely stainless threaded inserts anywhere anymore. Everything is tapped aluminum panel, which strips out easily.

I'm glad I got to experience some of the better days (glory days?) of higher quality control, while they lasted...

I've noticed this with almost all of the companies that were producing quality products back in that time frame. Even Lian-Li has cut costs on their cases. I remember the quality being very high on the PC-V1000B case that I was using, for 13 years, had gotten BETTER since the release of the PC-60 just a few years before it. Now I have a Lian-Li PC-O8WX, released in 2015 (around 10 years later), and the quality has taken a big hit. Panels are thinner, airflow not very well thought out (even for a case aimed towards custom loops), and absolutely stainless threaded inserts anywhere anymore. Everything is tapped aluminum panel, which strips out easily.

I'm glad I got to experience some of the better days (glory days?) of higher quality control, while they lasted...

It's like that with lack of build quality in motherboards too. I have couple a high end mobos from yrs ago - socket 1156 (Giga P565A-UD6) & AM3+ (Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0) & the build quality on those compared to my high end B450 (in signature) is definitely different.
It's part of the (without going into a deep argument) neoliberal economic order to get consumers buying stuff over & over, as quickly as possible. In other words,, these newer products are designed to break or show performance degradation by the time the warranty ends.

B450 is inherently a budget/mid-range chipset. A saberkitty from 990FX was flagship chipset and one of the few boards that could handle the FX octos of the time.

Aren't all products a balancing game of warranty EOL from defect?

B450 is inherently a budget/mid-range chipset. A saberkitty from 990FX was flagship chipset and one of the few boards that could handle the FX octos of the time.

Aren't all products a balancing game of warranty EOL from defect?

For 1 card gpu gamers, its perfectly fine. Besides, the build quality of the board is to do with other features/functionality on the board. Chipset being only one aspect of that product.

The old Giga P55 board I mentioned is made in Taiwan. Perhaps that could have something to do with it?

Back