• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply for a powerful Graphics Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingpwn

Registered
I've been told my power supply needs to be of a good brand and have sufficient power for all the hardware, with some to spare. A 80+ gold PSU is more expensive but could be the best idea.

I'm starting out my rig with three SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC for now.I'm looking to go upto 4 or even maybe 5 in the future.

The price difference between Silent Pro M2 1500W & Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200 is 42 USD from where I am to get it.One being silver rated and the other gold.

In terms of power efficiency and expansion ability of the rig which one would be better and why ?

Which CPU, and do you plan on overclocking either or both the CPU and GPUs?

I'm thinking about the FX6300 with no overclocking. The GPU would be either with no overclocking or slight overclocking .Really depends on the temperatures I get.

What are these GPUs being used for? Gaming? If so, what resolution are you gaming at? I am hoping you are using 3 monitors, yes?

You will be choking those cards with an AMD CPU at stock speeds. I would really grab an Intel CPU and overclock it so you can stretch their legs.

Also something to note, you cannot SLI/CFx 5 cards. 4 is the limit.

What are these GPUs being used for? Gaming? If so, what resolution are you gaming at? I am hoping you are using 3 monitors, yes?

You will be choking those cards with an AMD CPU at stock speeds. I would really grab an Intel CPU and overclock it so you can stretch their legs.

Also something to note, you cannot SLI/CFx 5 cards. 4 is the limit.
Mining I bet. ;)

Ahh, good thinking!

That said, if true, it is a 'no brainer' to me to get the most power efficient PSU as even those meager differences of efficiency will pay themselves off in a pretty short time... that is assuming that the price of these 'coins' stays at their unusually high price anyway.

So to spin of of this.

It seems that it's more cost efficient to just get 2x PSUs rather than 1 huge W PSU.

Are there any PSUs that would be especially good for a GPU only setup? Obviously since it will only be used to power GPUs, the power requirements to the board don't matter.

Ideally I'd want a 800w or so, modular, capable of supporting 4x GPUs. Natively with PCIe connectors if possible, but the Molex->PCIe adapters would be acceptable.

Id start your own thread...

...but to answer since you posted, one PSU would be easier. Not sure about cost efficient though. Perhaps you did the math. But the meager differences I would imagine to be between 2 600W PSUs and 1 1.2kW PSU is balanced out by the effort and aesthetic of such a setup. Not worth it to me personally.

Aesthetics matter all of zero lol. The system is sprawled out on a desk not even in a case lol.

When a 1200+ PSU costs 250+ and has wasted power available for the MB (when it's not needed) it makes more sense economically to just run a lower watt PSU for the MB and a medium for the GPUs. You can get 500w PSUs suuuuper cheap.

I don't see how it not being "my" thread matters. I'm posting info that supports the OPs original question.

A PSU for a GPU heavy system...

Back