• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power supply next??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yep sounds good enough to me. That's what the PS3 is for.
If you can recommend any others based on what I've said that are better and around a similar price range that would be great.
thanks

sounds like good advice there ASUS ROG
I like to make sure I know what I'm on about before I act.
thanks guys

yep sounds good enough to me. That's what the PS3 is for.
If you can recommend any others based on what I've said that are better and around a similar price range that would be great.
thanks

I think the AX750 is a solid PSU, plus it's fully modular too, so very good cable mamagement.
But if you want some more recommend then you may want to check out this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171057

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182084

Not good advice IMO. You don't need anything close to 750w. You're looking at more like 300w-350w at full load overclocked with a 4770k and GTX650ti boost.

Don't buy from that store if you can help it. They ream you on prices, the Corsair HX650 for instance is just shy of twice the price you get it for on newegg.

sounds like good advice there ASUS ROG
I like to make sure I know what I'm on about before I act.
thanks guys
That advice is sound if you decide to go with two cards. That said, I would HAPPILY run a 4470K and 2 650ti boosts on a quality 550W unit.

You do not game, it seems likely you will not SLI, so I like the 650ti boost and Seasonic selection previously made personally.

I'm in Australia don't forget. That has been affecting my selection and thoughts.
I don't want to run a power supply at close to full capacity so I'd prefer it around the 750 mark.
That is want I want to allow for: 2 cards,4-5 fans, overclocking etc etc.
The power supply seems to be Austin's biggest rip off. I can see that.

Hey I managed to get on to newegg. Give me the rundown. Where is this mob? I'm trying to work out what it'll cost me in Australian dollars and what postage costs will be. How can I confirm that? I can't see it anywhere.
Also I had a look at their warranties. Is transport damage covered or does it cost extra?
It's a bit vague to me.
It says: Accidental Replacement Warranty by Service Net
1-year extended warranty $34.99
2-year extended warranty $59.99

where's their shipping fees etc. faster the better

Last edited:
Newegg doesn't ship overseas.

Pccasegear.com is for place of order from in Australia.

May I ask, what are you planning on using this computer for?

Last edited:
Newegg doesn't ship overseas.

Pccasegear.com is for place of order from in Australia.

May I ask, what are you planning on using this computer for?

media, Guitar/music editing software, PS3 software, browsing the net, console emulation and games, SSD HDD backups, the missus gets into photoshop - all the usual stuff and whatever else I might get into.

I'm very impatient. I want it to run fast. I've upgraded my hard drives to SSD and want to be able to use them to their potential. Basically I want to be able to make full drive backups and be able to copy things at fast speed. Even things like slow virus scans annoy me. I don't get much time to myself so I don't want to waste it sitting and waiting in front of a computer.

I'll sus out this other mob - thanks

I'm in Australia don't forget. That has been affecting my selection and thoughts.
I don't want to run a power supply at close to full capacity so I'd prefer it around the 750 mark.
That is want I want to allow for: 2 cards,4-5 fans, overclocking etc etc.
The power supply seems to be Austin's biggest rip off. I can see that.

Hey I managed to get on to newegg. Give me the rundown. Where is this mob? I'm trying to work out what it'll cost me in Australian dollars and what postage costs will be. How can I confirm that? I can't see it anywhere.
Also I had a look at their warranties. Is transport damage covered or does it cost extra?
It's a bit vague to me.
It says: Accidental Replacement Warranty by Service Net
1-year extended warranty $34.99
2-year extended warranty $59.99

where's their shipping fees etc. faster the better
Running a PSU at 20% is a terrible idea for your wallet. I mean, the efficiency sweetspot doesnt hit until a after that and runs at its best through 80-90% capacity. As BobN mentioned, you will not be CLOSE to 100% about 60% with 550W) with your system or even the fastest single GPU out today a quality 550W PSU is more than enough including overclocking and all the fans/hdd/ssd you want.

Ditch the misconceptions as it will be a lot easier on your wallet. :thup:

There's not much difference in price on the mobo and CPU between Austin, Pccasegear.com and Mwave. About 15 bucks difference and then you'd probably have to add postage as well.
It's the power supply that's the stinger. I do like those seasonic units though.
I've got enough money but I'm not gonna waste it ;)

EarthDog: OK then. I didn't realise that it'd be better on load. that changes my thoughts.
Hhhmmm I better re-look again.

Think I might go for the 650W "Corsair" HX 650 V2
http://www.austin.net.au/psu/650w-corsair-hx-650-v2-atx-power-supply-80-pl.html

I won't miss $150 and it got a good review in the list
I'm just gonna purchase from Austin as it's close to home and not much difference in price for these particular items.

For the GPU I may wait and order that in from overseas and get something a bit better.

thanks for all your help

Last edited:
Back