• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power won't stay on...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jblaven

Just bought new motherboard, processor, PS, Ram. Got everything installed and ready to go, but when I push the power button on the computer case, all of the fans start to spin and then turn off. They may stay on for a quarter of a sec. Then when you press the power again, nothing happens.

I tried to use the reset button as the power button too, but it does the same thing...

What could I be missing? :(

Thanks,

Joe

Take out all but one memory stick. Remove the sound card. Take out the video card and use the onboard video. Clear the cmos. Then try it again. And are you sure you don't have the mobo short grounded by a left over stand off making contact with the underside in a place it shouldn't?

Take out all but one memory stick. Remove the sound card. Take out the video card and use the onboard video. Clear the cmos. Then try it again. And are you sure you don't have the mobo short grounded by a left over stand off making contact with the underside in a place it shouldn't?

Good idea. I'll remove all of the items and give it a go... interesting about the stand offs...

I'll tackle this tomorrow.

Thanks,

Joe

You can also touch with your hand the motherboard and the other parts while power is off to remove (if there is any) static electricity. Happens almost every time I setup a new build.

Just as a test have you tried jumping the PSU to make sure it's not that ...?

Actually, I did jump my previous PSU (a Thermaltake). Fans worked, but when reconnected to my old motherboard, it caught fire!!! (the motherboard that is) :eek:

Thus my new ASUS board. :)

It worked!

Turns out to be my video card. hmmm.

Back