• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powerline networking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
Haven't looked into this tech for a long time. At first it was ok.

I plan on getting one if it does what I need it to do and that is to let my patriot box (in the living room) communicate with my PC (bedroom) via wire instead of wireless (it sucks).

All I know is if it's just all plug and play... no software, no setups... Is there more to it than just that?

I'm looking at this product at newegg due to the price... anybody know of any good ones that I should look for, speed limit, etc.?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156283Decent decent amount of reviews and lowest price.

Reading that it's windows only, so I don't think it will work with my Patriot box (linux)

Reading that it's windows only, so I don't think it will work with my Patriot box (linux)

It shouldn't matter, the power adapters go into the wall on each end, then offer an ethernet port to connect a cable. Completely independent of the networking device being used.

I've never had success with ethernet over power lines. Probably for many of the reasons mentioned in that other thread.

I'm thinking a good wireless N router (netgear N600, etc) or wireless repeater if you're not gaming and don't care about a few extra milliseconds latency. All you need is a couple bars to maintain a solid WPA connection with decent transfer rates. I can't imagine any apartment being so large this would be an issue. I've had signals strong enough to stream through walls 100-150 feet away from the router with wireless N.

Running cat5/6 cable and using track to conceal it in a rental is money and time eventually lost when you move. The wireless will always be useful to you in your next home.

+1 to Pinky. I have a Netgear WNDR3700 "N" in my house and I use it for everything but my main system, printer, and server. It works great all over the house and I'm on multiple floors.

Back