• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Presler 940 in the bat computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well if it does'nt allow lower then that, then it would be a nice starting point. I'd really like to get a dualcore P4, but need have to figure out a way to get the temps down before jumping over.

edit:

No need to do any serious testing, just a picture of what it seems stable at.

You guys think that 4256 Mhz (16 x 266) has a pretty good shot on air with the 940 chip right now? I really wanna try the new 1066 Mhz FSB, but can't see going all-out for the extreame edition chip. I have a P4 socket 478 3.4 Ghz @ 3.75 Ghz right now. (Yea, I know, gotta upgrade the RAM, Motherboard, Video card, as well as maybe the power supply?)

thanks

I finally got my 930 to 4.00GHz stable - but it took like 1.43Vcore, and temps hit 65* Loaded on a XP-120. A bit hot for my liking - so I'm back at 3.90GHz (or so) stable, and load temps touch 60*C. Ram is screaming at over 700MHz, too!

I'm happy with my 930, and I'm keeping her...

:cool:

DTOG, if you had really good air cooling and really good case ventilation, then you could probably get pretty close to 266 FSB with a 940. Depends on how much vcore you need. These Preslers are fairly cool at low voltage, but once you crank up the vcore, they will get quite warm. Of course, the 920 would be a piece of cake at 266 FSB. The 930 at 266 would be 4 gig (see Randy's comments).

batboy said:
Batch code (L541B274) and pack date (12/22/05) was was listed in the first post. Only one stepping revision so far. A couple of forum members have mentioned they have 940's ordered, so keep an eye open for their posts in the near future. If you go back to post #95 in this thread, Hyperasus recently got a 940 and his results are very similar to mine.
got mine today . its Sl 94Q malay L541B353 packed same day. out of the box . under vapo . 250 fsb auto volt . prime x2 steady. have to go to work now thought . so some more results another time.

ivanovich said:
got mine today . its Sl 94Q malay L541B353 packed same day. out of the box . under vapo . 250 fsb auto volt . prime x2 steady. have to go to work now thought . so some more results another time.
ivanovich, if you get a minute, would you please confirm one way or the other as to whether or not the Asus "Lockfree" BIOS setting will give you a 14 multi with your 940 proc.

It does NOT Stan. It says all over Intel's site that NO Presler or CMs currently have EIST, C1E, etc. enabled and they won't until Q2....then EIST will be 12x because the 920 Presler will have it as well. I still don't not know though if LockFree is going to make the return with EIST.

The 955XE should be completely unlocked like the 840EE, but other than that, you need to wait a few months....

My 950 (ES) has all the multis down to 12x - do you think I will get 400x12 on the new board with 1:1 DDR at 4-4-4-12 :D

I reckon there are other factors limiting the FSB scaling of Presler apart from multiplier selection, like FSB signalling strength and other stuff I dont understand yet!
I dont think it is as straightforward as "my chip does 4.8ghz with 280FSBx17, therefore it must do 4.8ghz with 400FSBx12" - even if you have the board and RAM capable of doing it.

Last edited:
Oohooh, mememe, send it -->here<-- :D My board will do 400FSB no problem :) -E's should, not sure on the WS...OCs seem a bit more FSB limited on them, but the unlocked multi + WS should = good stuff.

No, generally it's more difficult to run high clocks at high FSB...just more stress and heat on everything, BUT if it is DOES clock 4.8GHz at 12x400FSB, it will more than likely do say 4.9-5GHz at the higher multi and lower FSB. It may very well bench much better at the lower clock/higher FSB though (especially if the clocks are that close)...high FSB is just such a performance benefit.

Ross - I am aware of the EIST issue. It has been well documented on several fora. What I haven't seen is a post where someone actually set the Lockfree setting to Enable and booted up and posted their results. We all assume that because EIST is missing that Lockfree won't work. I am hoping someone with a 940~950 actually confirms that the Lockfree Enabled does/doesnot work.

Yeah, that's exactly why I think LockFree will be nowhere to be found until Intel at least puts EIST back in. I have a 661 too and if LockFree was going to be on any of these new procs at all, I'm sure you'd agree it would be on it (all 560s/660s had it).

I've tried every BIOS from 0519->0704 and none of them offer it. I do still hold out SOME hope though because one CPU ID app I used said this, but I think it's just detecting the minimum possible multi on the core, not that it's "available" in any shape or form.
gcpuid12x.gif

Since there's only one s-spec and stepping each for the 940/950s, if one doesn't have it, I can't see how any would. I am sure batboy wouldn't have missed that little tidbit on his 940 ;) If you DO happen to find someone that has a LockFree on a 940/950, please post back with a pack date/mobo/BIOS version!!! Good luck on your hunt...

gave it 1.325v and 280 fsb ,just before i left to work . ran pcmark 05 without probs . couldnt upload scores on futuremark ,as i was missing a patcht or somethin . looking good so far. ille check with the multipler . but not before tommorrow . :)

Only the 16X multiplier available on mine.

Ivan, I need quite a bit more vcore than that for mine to be stable at 280 FSB.

batboy said:
Only the 16X multiplier available on mine.

Ivan, I need quite a bit more vcore than that for mine to be stable at 280 FSB.
im not sure how stable here.i havnt much time to test. i have to go to work agian today.but im running 4.9 now at 1.4v. how do you compress photos under 195kb to post them here.i have a pi at 26 secs

Doh! I completely missed the fact you're on Vapo, LOL. I was gonna say that's a super strong Presler when I thought you were on air ;) PCMark04 for stability while you're downloading from Futuremark...

Back