• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pressure in resevoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wing-man

I have noticed that when I turn off my computer the water level doesn't return to its normal off level. If I release the pressure by opening the fill port then the water level it returns to normal off level. I also noticed when I start the PC if I open the fill port on the reservoir the water level goes down even further than the normal drop on start up. My system runs very cool I just was wondering if this is normal.

Might still have some air in the line. I noticed a small hiss coming from my Micro res when I would open the fill port. After topping it off and rebleeding, it went away. With my XSPC bay res it only happened once. Once topped off and again rebleeding it also went away.

Might want to tilt the case and alittle shake helps remove the air. Top it off while it's running, but be aware of overfilling. Once you turn off the pc, the level will rise beyond the fill port and spill all over. You gotta find the equal level for your system.

Are you saying I should fill my reservoir to the top. I have always left a little area for expansion.

This is normal... at least, it has happened in every loop I have had.... be it right or wrong!

Are there factors to consider when filling up your loop in regards to having the pumps on OR off? To me, common sense tells me to not fill the reservoir to the top to give it some breathing room. Could there be a normal situation where fluid can come out of my fill ports which are several inches about the reservoirs (ie, I have 2 480mm rads at the top of my case)?

if the level changes any its due to an air pocket somewhere I'd do as Neb suggested and have it running and tilt it and give it a shake to help dislodge the air. Its not uncommon for a small amount of air to get trapped in a non bothersome spot. A small rise in level is nothing to worry about but say its 3-4 inches then you have air trapped somewhere.

I normally tilt mine side to side front to back and corner to corner while bleeding even so much as to make it hit the counter top harshly in efforts to dislodge any trapped air, and I'm 100% successful in this method. It will also help ya find that one dang fitting you didnt get 100% tight as well so be warned and have towels down on vulnerable spots.

air / water expand when heated its normal for that to happen unless the water and air are the same temp as when you sealed it up it will either ave a slight vacuum or slight pressure.

as for the level rising, id assume you had a slight pressure, rubber hoses id imagine swelled a tiny bit from the pressure and water was displaced into the expanded hoses, open res, pressure relieves tubes return to normal and water comes back. maybe. idk

OK... the bleeding process should take care of any extreme level changes (couple of inches) then. I have my reservoirs (2 of them) set horizontal so the level changes will not be that dramatic, just keep an eye on it and use common sense.

I have noticed that when I turn off my computer the water level doesn't return to its normal off level. If I release the pressure by opening the fill port then the water level it returns to normal off level. I also noticed when I start the PC if I open the fill port on the reservoir the water level goes down even further than the normal drop on start up. My system runs very cool I just was wondering if this is normal.

I must have had air in the system the water level now returns to off level without releasing pressure.

Yep. Out of the gate I tip and gently knock to get bubbles out. Once I don't hear large bubbles moving around, I just let it run.

What I'm saying is after you get the system running and notice your res. is in need of being topped off, instead of adding that 10cc's of fluid you just give a hose a little pinch which will raise the fluid level to the point that there is no air in the system and than cap it off.

What I'm saying is after you get the system running and notice your res. is in need of being topped off, instead of adding that 10cc's of fluid you just give a hose a little pinch which will raise the fluid level to the point that there is no air in the system and than cap it off.

Assuming that you're not running rigid tubing... :)

I dont understand why one would do that at all. Just fill the res!

After thinking a bit more critically about that post, "a little pinch" will barely raise levels considering how little water you are displacing by doing so.

ANd yeah, there is rigid where its impossible.

Back