• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prevent creation of a new right click menu item, specifically Photoshop .psd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
It would be nice if there was a monitoring program that could intercept programs inserting themselves into the Right-click New menu, but there isn't one as far as I know.

So I would like to prevent the system from creating a new Photoshop new menu item every time Photoshop is opened. How would I restrict Photoshop access to this registry key and therefore prevent it from re-creating its right click New menu item every time it's removed:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.psd\ShellNew

Thank you for your suggestion. The link you Private Messaged me talks about the Right Click Menu. I know how to take care of that. Thread question is about Right Click > New menu (not Right Click Menu).

In other words: When you Right click on an empty space and go to New. That is where I need to prevent Photoshop from inserting itself by always recreating key

I don't want that key recreated. Adding a '-' sign there does not help.

It can... just set permissions on the sub-directory so nothing can be written to it after applying the above.

This is strange, I have PS Elements at work and there is a reg entry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.psd\ShellNew, but when I right click and go to new, there is no option for a new psd file.

Couldn't you change the permissions to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.psd and set it to read only, or check the deny boxes which should overrule the allow permissions.

edit: redduc900 beat me to the answer

I'd like to take this step by step and use screen shots so that we are clear. If you delete NullFile entry, the Right Click New entry disappears:

Reg-psd.png

Right clicking on ShellNew > Permissions, then doing this does not prevent re-creation of NullFile entry which results in the system re-creating the right click New menu item again. Perhaps this needs to be done under Advanced options somewhere?

Attachments

• Reg-psd-Permissions.png
    Reg-psd-Permissions.png
    27 KB · Views: 47
You could remove all access to that key with the advanced button.
Then if you want, allow only yourself full control.

I think the thing to do was to Deny permission to SYSTEM *and* Administrator entries.

Not just SYSTEM.

I think that did it.

Back