• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PREVENTING DUST: more intake or more exhaust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OBLIVIONLORD said:
So besides Pellon for that 155mm filter intake.. What else could you use thats comparable?

Almost any filter material can be cut to size. Panty hose material is always a decent choice.

Get a 1" pipe and try different materials rubber banded over the end. Blow into the pipe and note the pressure. Panty hose causes little or no restriction, less than Pellon. T-Shirt material causes more back pressure that Pellon. Swim suit mesh is good for catching hair and fiber, not so great at catching fine dust. I like to stay away from foam material. Too restrictive unless you have a huge filter.

OBLIVIONLORD said:

That is one hella efficient filter. It must be 2x or 3x more area then the fan, which is ideal. Now, if the filtered fan moves slightly more air than all the other fans that are blowing out, the only dust that can possibly enter your case will be very fine stuff that goes through the filter.

Very innovative too. Using the lid to pinch the filter on really works nice, looks very easy to change the filter. Mine is very easy to change too. I can just grab it off the side (magnets, remember?) and change the filter in 20 sec.

I have always wanted a filter, but the elements always looked like a hassle to check change. I also doubted that they worked well because of a lack of internal case pressure. The quick-change filter and rheostats fixed those problems perfectly.

I thought I would go to the extreme here cause I just dont like the idea of having a fan without it blowing at its full potential. I havent even tested this setup yet but ill tell you that before when I didnt have on any filter on that side fan it lowered my case temp 2 degrees.

So I did this side filter and I also included a top port hole for a 120mm fan. I'm also getting a fan for the intake since the fan that was there is going to now be the exhaust. So ill have 4 120mm fans in total and hopfully match the room temp at alot lower sound then the way it was before.

I would still perfer Liquid Cooling to achieve efficentcy at the least amount of noise possible. But, this is what you have to do when you ain gots da money. LOL

Back