• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Price of Ram starting to fall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Looks like the price of system RAM is starting to fall a little. Still very high but not quite as high as a couple weeks ago. I'm saying this based on price trends I'm seeing on Egg.

Maybe SSD prices are trending down again a little as well.

I've noticed the same thing. RAM is still quite expensive - maybe production is starting to catch up or demand is going down? Mining or Miners?

Mining and miners are not affecting memory in any way. They usually buy small amount of RAM. It's still high demand on the mobile devices market and most production is for them. Prices are not low but are not so high to complain. At least not so high comparing to how much some other components cost. CPU prices went up even though are not so much better for end-user than older series, graphics cards are in ridiculous prices and SSD are cheaper per GB than 3-4 years ago ( at least these higher capacity models ) but with higher demand, people just expect prices to drop. If someone can pay $500+ for motherboard, $500 or more for CPU and the same or more for graphics card then I see no problem why RAM can't cost as much as it costs now. Most users don't need 16GB+ RAM but those who buy gaming computers think it's a must.

RAM prices are predicted to go up or to keep the same price as now at least for next year. At least that was said 1-2 months ago. Hard to say if it's going to change.
Overclockers/enthusiasts have bigger problem as they want Samsung based memory and it's the most expensive. All brands are using Samsung almost only in their high series so also the most expensive. It doesn't mean that typical user can't buy Micron/Hynix as out of overclocking they simply won't see any difference.

Too early to tell...are you following a decent sized cross section? What do pcpartpicker trends show

last i heard it was to go down much later this year or 2019. But that was forbes a couple months ago. Though pcgamer said memory prices dropped 5% in 4q 17 so that can yield a bit of relief... depends on who you believe. :)

I don't remember where I saw it but prices went slightly down ( as you said ) in 4Q but won't be much lower and probably will be higher in couple of months when new hardware will be released. At least for now I'm not selling my memory kits and I get barely anything for reviews anyway ( because of high prices and most brands move all stock for sale ).

I work with distribution and I follow prices but on my local market. Prices here are much higher than in US. If you had +30% added to your prices then you could complain ;)

Mining and miners are not affecting memory in any way. They usually buy small amount of RAM. It's still high demand on the mobile devices market and most production is for them. Prices are not low but are not so high to complain. At least not so high comparing to how much some other components cost. CPU prices went up even though are not so much better for end-user than older series, graphics cards are in ridiculous prices and SSD are cheaper per GB than 3-4 years ago ( at least these higher capacity models ) but with higher demand, people just expect prices to drop. If someone can pay $500+ for motherboard, $500 or more for CPU and the same or more for graphics card then I see no problem why RAM can't cost as much as it costs now. Most users don't need 16GB+ RAM but those who buy gaming computers think it's a must.

They don't buy memory sticks per se but those video cards that they are buying use a lot of RAM produced by Samsung and the ilk. Phones and tablets have dug into the RAM production too making memory sticks expensive. That said, I too have seen the price drop but it has been well with the usual variances so I do not look at it as a trend yet.

I noticed the latest e-mail from newegg I saw had a pair of 8gig ddr4 2400 for about $150, hopefully a sign of things to come.
This coupled with the bit coin drop today hopefully we can buy video cards at regular price again soon

Back