• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pricing help for second hand gaming computer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schwepp

Hello,

I'm not very clued up with computers so when my friend offered me his gaming computer for £500 I was pretty interested.

So I just need to know if it's actually worth what he's asking.

I've included a photo of what he paid for 3 years ago.

Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• IMG_6998.PNG
    IMG_6998.PNG
    86 KB · Views: 103
Being ancient aside, Im not sure I'd buy that for 500 pounds. See if he will sell it for 400 without the GPU, because that thing sucks lol. The 3820 isn't a K, but Im pretty sure you CAN overclock those, so thats good. x79 is a strong platform, yet mostly dead. If you can buy it without the GPU, it'd probably be a pretty reasonably powerful computer still. If you do buy, expect to fork over for a GPU at some point in the very near future, as the 560 is completely irrelevant now.

^ this guy, lol. Don't worry, the GTX560 is pretty old, but it will be fine if this is a starter pc for you. And you can always upgrade the gpu down the road.

NOW, this is where things veer off. That's not a bad setup at all, it really isn't, however... I added up everything in USD$ with guestimates based on what they are selling for used RIGHT NOW, and the price came out to be about $500 for the internal components (most expensive pieces of h/w in that kit are the cpu and mobo), that would be around £320. So, that being said, I don't know the prices over there of the parts, I am just going by what they are selling for on HardForum right now by individual sellers.

Unless he can drop it to MAYBE £350 for the entire setup, to me it does not seem to be a great deal. In fact, seems he definitely wants some profit off of it, lol.

Last edited:
Sobe, to my understanding; prices in UK are typically very 1 to 1 (as in if it sells for 500$ here, it'll be 500 pounds there). New prices typically work out better, but the used market isn't quite the same there.

Oh wow, seriously? Well in that case, no bueno. I'm not 100% sure then.

Back