• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem between Overclocking and League of Legends FPs Drops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElmoElbadry

Registered
Ok first of all some people here told me i cannot Overclock an AMD FX Quad Core 4100 but i did it anyways with so many tests and help from msi forums

The overclock of CPU only increased my FPs in game from 50-100 to 200-400 during gameplay for 3 weeks I even play more than 10 hours a day i guess and had no problem at all

Running the game on a very high resolution

The maximum core Temp that i got while playing is 50
for the Prime95 stressing more than an hour 40.

The FPs drops only after 5 minutes while im in game and idk why... drops from 250+ to 80. in laning face and stays the same during team fights.

Overclocked the CPU from 3.6 GHz to 4.00 GHz

Any clue?

I don't recall anyone telling you not to OC, they just said that your board wasn't the best for it and extra cooling would be required. If you are getting sudden frame dropsthen something has changed, probably temperatures. Did you add extra fans on the motherboard VRM and socket? My instinct tells me your motherboard is throttling , possibly your card.
What we need is to see some numbers. Could you run Prime 95 blend with HWMonitor free open to monitor temps/volts for about 20 minutes and then take a SS and post it here?

The FPs problem has gone for now and idk what was the problem though and as i said above the temperature doesn't increase from 50 running Prime95 for an hour same with playing games more than 10 hours a day....

Maybe your GPU is throttling. You only talk about the CPU in your post.

I will tell u why it isn't the GPU, cuz i never clocked my GPU only once and it didn't increase my FPs, also it never reached 50 degree.

Elmo,

Would you please create a "Sig" with particulars about your hardware like you see at the bottom of the post windows from a lot of the regulars on the forum? We no nothing from this thread about your hardware except that you have an FX-4100 CPU. What about your motherboard, your PSU, your video card, your case and it's ventilation? What OS are you using? We have no information in this thread about these things that might help us help you. Sounds like you have created a thread on this forum before but it's no longer current and you need a Sig.

The FPs problem has gone for now and idk what was the problem though and as i said above the temperature doesn't increase from 50 running Prime95 for an hour same with playing games more than 10 hours a day....

You could run Prime95 for two years and that doesn't prove your cpu isn't throttling. You never posted a screenshot of the free version of hardware monitor like JOHAN asked whlie Prime95 was running. You ask for help and people that know their stuff like JOHAN offer to help and you ignore his advice. You ignored Trents asking for you to fill out your rig builder.

- - - Updated - - -

So a 400 MHz cpu overclock netted you a quadrupling of your frame rates? That seems pretty absurd.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/25/2016, 16:19:34
Machine name: ELMO-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7693
BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/08/16 08:37:42 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8142MB RAM
Page File: 3518MB used, 12762MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 960
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1401&SUBSYS_32051462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3072 MB
Shared Memory: 1023 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: P19-1S
Monitor Id: FUS0493
Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 21.21.0013.7290 (English)
Driver Version: 21.21.13.7290
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/17/2016 03:46:09, 17464952 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-5741-11CF-A86B-08121BC2D835}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x1401
SubSys ID: 0x32051462
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem18.inf:NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section032:21.21.13.7290:pci\ven_10de&dev_1401
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

Untitled.jpg

Ok Elmo this is exactly what I was talking about. If you look below you'll see I have identified the socket and core temps. Then below that you'll see that the CPU spee is dropping to 1400 during testing. That is throttling. Can be temperature or current related. The FX CPUs draw a lot of power which heats/stresses the VRM. Your motherboard is compensating by dropping the CPU speed. That's when you notice the performance drops. Add in the heat of your video card and the problem only gets worse.
To combat this you can get better cooling in your case to improve airflow. Add fans to the VRM area and behind the motherboard. Like this http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...oling-my-cpu?p=7961238&viewfull=1#post7961238

Also check your BIOS for APM and HPC should be in CPU settings if you have them. EDIT: had a quick look at your manual and don't see either of those settings. Here's a small guide for AMD MSRTweaker which will allow you to disable APM even though it's not in your BIOS. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?277724-New-tool-AmdMsrTweaker
You will need to cool the VRM/board like I suggested if you turn this off since it removes some of the safeguards for your motherboard and the heat/current could cause a failure.

elmo.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't get what you are saying but are you suggesting to stop overclocking my CPU? cuz i might use it in the future for 3D Rendering as i also use Autodesk Maya to do 3D Designs...

I wasn't saying don't OC I was saying that your current OC is throttling. Whether or not you can get it to stop will take some work and extra cooling.

I was asking for your recommendation should i stop OC till i get better cooling system or leave it as it is, and if i leave it as it is will it have any affect in the future?

Btw i forgot to say i have also these temperatures without OC i also checked them before on speedfan and i was like why it's always like that...

CPU vcore is still maxing out at 1.456. Pretty high for no overclock.

Elmo, what are you cooling the CPU with, the stock OEM cooler or an aftermarket cooler.

There are still a lot of information gaps with regard to your hardware. A well-developed signature would help greatly with that and travel with every post you make. This is a common courtesy on the forum as it helps those out who are trying to help you.

If you don't know much about your hardware, the free program "CPU-z" will tell you a lot.

Last edited:
Go into BIOS and set a negative voltage offset for the v-core maybe something like -.05v. Then test it again.

Dude last time i listened to someone to change my powersupply voltage and i tried to turn my PC ON the powersupply exploded maybe it is set like that to work with the electric system in Egypt?

No ones asking you to go anywhere near your power supply. If you changed the voltage on the PSU (A switch from 115v to 230/240v) then yes it would cause problems/blow up if it's not in the correct region.

Your BIOS voltage settings are very different. You won't blow anything up in there by reducing anything..

Back