• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem OCing ASUS P8P67 Deluxe/Intel 2600K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Znod

Hi All:

New here, and new to OCing. I have not had time to search thoroughly. My problem should be easy to solve, but ...?

I started with the build identified below--using the post Rev B3 ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, a 2600K, and the ASUS BIOS that comes with the board (your might want to read ahead on more details of my build(s)). At this point, I am only interested in OCing the Turbo Boost mode using the Ai Suite II from within Win7, but also tried a got-nowhere OCing starting with disabling Turbo Boost, etc. (more later, perhaps).

So, back to my first attempt--just OCing Turbo Boost using Al Suite ll TurboV EVO--auto mode. I had no trouble initial trouble using my prior-to Rev B3 board. I easily OC'd to about 4500+ (103 X 44) MHz and, presumably, could have gone farther since stability was not a problem (see build(s) below).

Without trying to go farther (except with RAM), I was getting CPU scores of 11,000+ using the latest 64-bit Passmark performance test. Without OCing Turbo Boost, I was, and still am, getting 9300+ on this test. Both values seem to be pretty much par for the course.

As implied below, I was, given my limited knowledge, unable to get the OCZ RAM above 1066. I tried to get 1333 by upping the RAM voltage from 1.5V to 1.65V. I got a panic attack and subsequently could no longer use the method described above to OC.

Thinking something might be wrong with the processor I RMA'ed it. Shortly after I received it, my Rev 3B board arrived (latest ASUS supplied BIOS), and I rebuilt, including the change to indicated below to 8 GB Corsair Vengeance now running well at 1648 MHz (1.5V).

Everything, again, seemed just perfect, but, as above, I cannot OC Turbo Boost using Al Suite ll TurboV EVO--auto mode. I go through the steps and everything looks right including the way the auto mode works. However, I cannot get any OCing done--except that the BCLK moves from 100 to 103--which is fine by me given my goal.

One reason I am proceeding slowly is to learn about OCing. So, when using my procedure, the OCing results should be saved to BIOS--which happens and, thus, I can feed off the settings conjured up by Al Suite ll.

As before, I can not find any evidence that I have OC'd--using the latest CPU-Z--CPU-Z 157, the latest AIDA64 Ultimate, the Passmark test, Ai Suite 11 CPU monitoring, or the WEI (my processor score is 7.6, but was 7.9 when I originally could OC).

I have tried several things in the BIOS to get my processor OC'd. Most importantly, perhaps, I have tried with the OC Turner set to both OK and Cancel. After trying to OC, I find that the Tuner always ends up in the OK mode. I think that is why my BCLK moves to 103--a 3% OC. At least I now understand a bit about how the BIOS works and interacts with Al Suite ll.

Perhaps, I should increase the Vcore voltage to something above its current 1.280V? Would doing so likely cure the problem.

Here is my build. It's my first, and I had no problems through setting up my RAID 0:

Intel 2600k (OC Turbo Mode to 4.62 GHz with prior-to Rev B3 board)
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
ASUS EN GTX 470 OC
Cooler Master 932 haf
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W
Prior Board: 8 GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066
Rev B3: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1648
64 Bit Win7 Ultimate RAID 0 on WD Caviar Black SATA 3.0's
Pioneer Blu-ray Burner
Samsung DVD Burner

I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Not sure exactly what your question is :confused: i set optimized defaults in bios, clicked the "performance" box in bios (EZ mode). cpu idles at 1.6ghz and under load, 4.5ghz. if im reading your post correctly, then you have done this as well. so whats the problem? if your looking for more than the 4.6ghz your getting now, or looking for a 24/7 oc, then its a time consuming, trial and error process. start here:

http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22066 (this is for 2500k but should be good for reference)

more detailed:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263753

"One reason I am proceeding slowly is to learn about OCing. So, when using my procedure, the OCing results should be saved to BIOS--which happens and, thus, I can feed off the settings conjured up by Al Suite ll."

per mobo manual: "For system stability, all changes made in TURBO V will not be saved in BIOS settings, and will not be kept on the next system boot. use the SAVE PROFILE function to save your customized oc settings and manual load profile after windows starts."

i tried using the turbo v and it sucked ***! :bang head use the bios

(1) Not sure exactly what your question is.

(2) i set optimized defaults in bios, clicked the "performance" box in bios (EZ mode). cpu idles at 1.6ghz and under load, 4.5ghz.

(3) if im reading your post correctly, then you have done this as well. so whats the problem?

(4) if your looking for more than the 4.6ghz your getting now, or looking for a 24/7 oc, then its a time consuming, trial and error process. start here:

http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22066 (this is for 2500k but should be good for reference)

more detailed:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263753

(5) "One reason I am proceeding slowly is to learn about OCing. So, when using my procedure, the OCing results should be saved to BIOS--which happens and, thus, I can feed off the settings conjured up by Al Suite ll."

per mobo manual: "For system stability, all changes made in TURBO V will not be saved in BIOS settings, and will not be kept on the next system boot. use the SAVE PROFILE function to save your customized oc settings and manual load profile after windows starts."

(6)i tried using the turbo v and it sucked ***! :bang head use the bios

Thanks much for your reply punchie. I numbered your points above and will reply by number.

(1) I am trying to figure out why I am unable to use Ai Suite ll to overclock only Turbo Boost. I am seeking a fast and easy 24/7--which should be easy given the Turbo Boost procedure I favor for now. As indicated, it worked on my first board for a while, but I can't get it to work on my Rev 3B board. I must be missing something simple, but am breaking my brain trying to figure out what I am missing.

(2) I did not use the EZ mode. For now, I am looking for something for 24/7. See my reply (1) above. I did start with the optimized defaults though. I don't want to go there again at this point since selecting optimized defaults will wipe out my RAID 0 setup.

(3) The problem is that I am unable to use Ai Suite ll to overclock only Turbo Boost. See my (1) reply above.

(4) I am not getting 4.6 now. I got the 4.6 earlier using OC of Turbo Boost only via Suite ll. I want to get back to 4.5 or 4.6 using only OC of Turbo Boost as I did before--on my first board. Thanks for the links.

(5) You are quoting from the wrong part of the manual. You need to read the auto OCing part of the manual that comes later.

(6) Thank again for your help. Please let me know if you have insights concerning the procedure I prefer to use for now. It worked once, and i would be highly satisfied with it at this point.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies and interest in helping. I managed to solve my problem in a somewhat unexpected way. If interested, then please read here.

Back