• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Problem] Overclocking 1055T (NH-D14, GA990XA-UD3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StefanWylde

Registered
So, I bought a Nocuta NH-D14 and a Silent Pro M600 to OC the **** out of 1055T. However something seems to be wrong. I mean this is one of the best air coolers in the world, and I get 50c on stock speeds with turbo turned off with Intel Burn Test. 62c is the temp you're supposed to get with the stock AMD cooler with poor design and only 2 heatpipes when you turn on some stress program and you don't even have to turn off the turbo. So 12c less than the ****ty stock cooler with turbo off?! WTF MAN!
People manage to get this CPU up to 4 GHz with some stupid old 790GX chipsets and coolers like Hyper 212+/EVO and I can't even dream of doing that even though my components are way much better. Not to mention I use Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound, and yes, I did apply it the way it should, did it very carefully so that's definitely not the problem.
How do I measure my temperature? - I use CoreTemp, and I have adjusted the offsets to +10 , since a lot people say that Thuban sensors are a bit off, without +10, my temp is 40c.

Other informations:
My configuration:
Gigabyte GA990XA-UD3 ( 8+2 VRM Design )
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T ( 125W version ) / cooled by NH-D14
Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600 MHz 1.65v
Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
CoolerMaster Silent Pro M600 80+ Bronze
Thermaltake Commander MS-I

Room temperature:
So I live in Macedonia, and the room temp is around 30.
My case has enough airflow, it has a BladeMaster on the front, and some TT cooler for exhausting the air on the top.
I use F12 BIOS.
The vCore is set to 1.45 by default, haven't tried lowering it down.

So guys, Please POST your 1055T overclocking settings, your motherboard model and your CPU Cooler.

All the best,
Stefan.

Please post back with attached pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. That will give us lots of information about your system and most relevant bios settings. To attach a pic, crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. Then click on the paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window and the file browser/upload tool will appear.

Your high ambient temps are a definite contributing factor to your higher than expected temps as is the fact that your default core voltage is high (1.45). That high core voltage suggests you got a CPU that barely made the cutoff specs for that model. Definitely not from the center cut portion of that silicone wafer. Other 125W 1055T's may have a default core voltage of say, 1.35.

Please post back with attached pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. That will give us lots of information about your system and most relevant bios settings. To attach a pic, crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. Then click on the paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window and the file browser/upload tool will appear.

Your high ambient temps are a definite contributing factor to your higher than expected temps as is the fact that your default core voltage is high (1.45). That high core voltage suggests you got a CPU that barely made the cutoff specs for that model. Definitely not from the center cut portion of that silicone wafer. Other 125W 1055T's may have a default core voltage of say, 1.35.

I lowered the voltage to 1.40, still the same temperatures?!

How about those three CPU-z pics I requested? And one of HWMonitor that captures your voltage and temp information during a Prim95 blend test would also be helpful.

And concerning those high temps, how's your case ventilation? Having a great CPU cooler doesn't help much if your case ventilation is inadequate and he hot air is building up inside your case. How many fans do you have and how are they set up with regard to intake (push) and exhaust (pull)? I looked at your case specs here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

There are a number of optional places for fans but it doesn't ship with fans installed in those places it seems.

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 229
How about those three CPU-z pics I requested? And one of HWMonitor that captures your voltage and temp information during a Prim95 blend test would also be helpful.

And concerning those high temps, how's your case ventilation? Having a great CPU cooler doesn't help much if your case ventilation is inadequate and he hot air is building up inside your case. How many fans do you have and how are they set up with regard to intake (push) and exhaust (pull)? I looked at your case specs here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

There are a number of optional places for fans but it doesn't ship with fans installed in those places it seems.

Why do you even need those pics? I haven't overclocked my CPU yet, I'm talking about the temperatures I get with stock speeds.
My RAM works at 1333 instead of 1600, also with 1.5v instead of 1.65v.

Why do you even need those pics? I haven't overclocked my CPU yet, I'm talking about the temperatures I get with stock speeds.
My RAM works at 1333 instead of 1600, also with 1.5v instead of 1.65v.

Take it easy. I'm just trying to help. CPU-z gives us lots of valuable informatin about frequencies and voltages of the CPU and the ram. Sometimes people have a setting that is out of whack and don't realize it. CPU-z can help us spot that. Also, I just wanted to have you practice using the forum tools so we can make the helping process as efficient as possible.

Speaking of forum tools, it would be helpful to us if you would create a "Sig" that contains detailed system info such as you gave in the body of your message in post #1. To create a Sig, locate the "Quick Links" option at the top of the page and click on it and then click on Edit Signature. It may take up to an hour after you make your second post before this feature is available to you. The Sig will cause your system information to travel with every post you make which really helps those who are helping you, especially as the threads get longer and the info shared in the first few posts gets burried.

Concerning running the ram at 1600 mhz., we sometimes see that problem with the high voltage ram that takes 1.65v instead of 1.5 volts to run at 1600 mhz.

1.45v isn't impossible for a 1055T @ stock, improbable maybe. VID range for these CPUs IIRC was once published up to 1.5v, I have seen CPUs with 1.475v stock VID before. As for CPU-NB, the lowest I have seen was 1.00v, the highest being 1.325v.

You are running rather hot though as others have mentioned...and is really that hard to provide the CPU-Z screens that trents asked for? Even a validation file would be sufficient.

Take it easy. I'm just trying to help. CPU-z gives us lots of valuable informatin about frequencies and voltages of the CPU and the ram. Sometimes people have a setting that is out of whack and don't realize it. CPU-z can help us spot that. Also, I just wanted to have you practice using the forum tools so we can make the helping process as efficient as possible.

Speaking of forum tools, it would be helpful to us if you would create a "Sig" that contains detailed system info such as you gave in the body of your message in post #1. To create a Sig, locate the "Quick Links" option at the top of the page and click on it and then click on Edit Signature. It may take up to an hour after you make your second post before this feature is available to you. The Sig will cause your system information to travel with every post you make which really helps those who are helping you, especially as the threads get longer and the info shared in the first few posts gets burried.

Concerning running the ram at 1600 mhz., we sometimes see that problem with the high voltage ram that takes 1.65v instead of 1.5 volts to run at 1600 mhz.

Why do you talk to me like I'm some dumbass?
What wonders me is that I get only 1c difference in the temperature between 1.40 vCore (manually set) and 1.4750 which is right now, even tho CPU-Z says 1.456.
The RAM is set on auto, 1.50v , 1333 MHz is the speed.
1055T @ Prime95.png
CPU Z - Memory.png
CPU Z - SPD.png

Why do you talk to me like I'm some dumbass?

That response is inappropriate. We don't need that kind of attitude arround here. I have no idea what your experience or skill level is as a system builder/overclocker because you are a new forum participant and I was just trying to help. Maybe you should consider anger management training.

Unlike me There are a couple guys here that are very good techers who spend allot of time trying to help people out with thier problems whether big or little tht are very good at what they do. They have a simple routine that they follow that does work. That is all trents was doing. There are not many who have the patience that they do trying to help other with thier problems. By the way for what its worth trents is one of the dedicated few who spend allot of time here to help people with thier problems. Good luck.

Yes, why would you expect people to help you with such an attitude?

Those that are here to help you and volunteer their time for you deserve some respect. If you don't feel like giving some, then go about this on your own.

That's why I said that to him. I don't deserve detail explanation, just opinions and settings if you happen to have this cpu overclocked.

StefanWylde said:
So guys, Please POST your 1055T overclocking settings, your motherboard model and your CPU Cooler.

Anybody got that particular board and cpu, then give him some information. Otherwise he really does not care for or want any help according to his own words.

StefanWylde said:
I don't deserve detail explanation, just opinions and settings if you happen to have this cpu overclocked.

Thank you gentlemen.

My 1055T was a little voltage ***** when I owned it.

Mainboard: M4N98TD EVO 8+1 Split Phase VRM
Cooling: Corsair H50 push/pull.

1.5v In bios (1.52v offload in OS, 1.415v onload OS)

68gflop.jpg

This was a test I performed on my 1055T with the GA-990FXA-UD5. Voltage for 4ghz was obscene.

Actual voltage in Bios was 1.55, under load it was 1.5v

4ghz1055.jpg

honestly though the AM3 boards were better at FSB oc's then the AM3+'s

4050m2.jpg

As I no longer own my 1055T (as of mid lastyear) I cannot play with it to give you more settings to try. Just know this, most 1055T's need alot more voltage then the 95w locked versions, or the unlocked versions.

Last edited:
Room temperature:
So I live in Macedonia, and the room temp is around 30.

I'm willing to bet that running your air cooled rig in a room that is almost 90 degrees Farenheit is probably playing a role here. I'm not sure what you are expecting from blowing hot air through over your hot CPU.

Back