• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem trying to narrow it down to save time.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaladis

Hey guys, I'm not new to the site I enjoy reading the many articles here and late last year Built my very own liquid cooled system late last year but I've recently run into a problem.

So it had been about 5months since I last touched her and I decided it would be a good idea to replace the water (using straight distilled with some pt and a small chunk of pure silver).
Drained it, refilled it (not seeing any real damage to the tubing)
I've got next to no flow rate.
Drained it again, disassembled made sure I didn't miss anything and got some better cleaning done to some neglected spots.
Refilled and same issue.

My first assumption was maybe the pump fried somehow(it made the most sense to me) ordered a new pump replaced the old one and still no flow. At this point I'm running out of ideas and think maybe there is something blocking on the inside of my rad enough to mess my flow right up but not enough to stop me from fully bleeding the line.

I pulled the rad + pump + res out and looped them outside the box and there is a strange almost metallic gurgle but the flow is good. I "think" I've found my culprit but before I order a new very expensive rad I was hoping someone might have a confirmation/other idea of my problem.

Here are my specs:

CPU: EK supreme HF -Copper/Acetal
GPU: EK-FC480 GTX -Nickel/Acetal + black backplate
Reservoir: EK-BAY Spin 5.25" Bay Reservoir w/ Flow Meter -Acetal
Tubing: Feser Tube red and Tygon clear - 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD
Pump: Swiftech MCP655/speed control with a EK-D5 X-Top v2
Fittings: 9 x Bitspower G1/4" Matte Black High Flow 1/2"
Radiator: Black Ice GTX 360 Radiator

the replacement pump is a pmp 450s

DSC04109.jpg
older pic but the loop itself is in the same position/order and i've only fix cables/that clear tube

I'm a computer tech student and in the middle of my exams / case studies and having my main computer down is seriously hampering my ability to study / simulate stuff. (plus she is my baby I can't help but want to spend countless hours trying to save her)

oh should I run both pumps with a very short loop in hope that w/e is stuck in it gets rocketed out? (if there even is something)

What makes you so certain of no flow? Its not based off that bay res is it? If so you should know those are notorious for sticking.

What makes you so certain of no flow? Its not based off that bay res is it? If so you should know those are notorious for sticking.
That was my first first guess, with the first pump after running it for 12hours~ I started her up and overheated idle with my 2 monitors running within a few minutes before I could get non fan controller heat output.

My out of system loop the spiny thing on the reservoir is spinning happily as well.

A buddy of mine showed me how easy those things get stuck and come unstuck. I would put no faith in that.

Past that, it seems to be running fine out of the box, yes? Reinstall and check it. Could be you had a kink you didn't notice. Or possibly a large air bubble stopped flow. That would be my guess at thus point. Air bubble caused it to vacuum seal.

Like I said, the noise you heard is just air in the rad.

I have lots of extra tubing but none of them looked bad, considering I had no leaks when I ran it for 12hours seems unlikely but would that be working against me?

if it really was nothing I guess its not a real financial loss cause I'll just add the extra pump to my loop.

IIRC, the pmp 450 is a Laing D5. Still a good pump. Wouldn't hurt having it in the loop as a redundancy. I would probably set it aside, but that's just me. :D

Nice looking rig, btw.

thanks, been building pcs for years and finally doing a liquid cooled has been on my to do list for a long time was a lot of fun despite a few headaches :bang head I would take more recent pictures but I don't own a non phone camera and its a hassle. with all the cabling wrapped and finished. She looks much better.

Back