• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with DFI lanparty UT NF4 SLI-D 939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doubledragon5

Registered
Just got this mb today to replace my dead asus. Now I have some issues with this one that I can't figure out.. DFI website is down so can't go there for info.. Here is the problem.. after putting everything together, I start the thing, and right away the chipset fan stops spinning.. I get as far as the dfi splash screen, and that is it.. Have no options to go into a set up screen or anything. So can any one give me advice on what to look for.. Thanks

My guess is the fan is dead or dying. Did you try giving it a manual jump-start to see if it would start spinning again?

You can try removing it and cleaning. Sometimes people aren't very good about cleaning the edge around the hub and gunk gets built up.

You could also try plugging it into a different fan port ...

I have the non-SLI version.. the NB chipset fan is known to have problems.. mine made a loud buzzing sound for a while but even tho i just let it go, the computer was fine up until this past summer. The fan just stopped working. However I was still able to boot up to windows just fine, temps were high, but I opened up my case and had a regular desk fan blowing into it.. lol

Just a month ago I replaced it with this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465285

Other then that, you should be able to get to the BIOS screen... did you clear CMOS??

What all hardware do you have hooked up to the motherboard? have you stripped it down to just the bare minimum and tried it?

Ok got it running for now. Now the questions is why does the cpu heatsink/fan come on then go off? I think according to the manual, it would be that it comes on when the cpu temp gets to a point that you can set manually in bios.. Now I have never seen this type of setting in my ASUS boards, but I know this is a whole different animal.. When this first happened I figured my original fan was dying out, so I went and purchased a new one.. This one does the same thing, and that is when I found out that little info in the manual.. I have a fan that you can set the speed, so right now I have it set to slow and the fan stay running all the time.. If I speed it up it stops, and only kicks on when the temp get higher then what I have set in the bios, I hope I right what do you all think.

I'm using all my original hardware listed in my sig other than the ASUS board naturally.. Thanks again, and do not mine the rambling, just got out of work and I'm tired..

Figured out the fan issue.. Even though my original fan was doing the same thing, spin stop spin stop.. My new fan came with a fan controller. So I unplugged it and plugged the fan directly into the cpu header.. Loaded up Vista today and now so far it is running with no issues.. I will have to test my other two sticks of ram, because if I run all four the machine will no post.. Thank for the help and sorry for the rambling

Finally got it all working together.. Problem was not the MB or ram really.. Even though I have identical ram, two sticks were v1.2 the others v2.1. So after parring them together the v1.2 in slots 1-2 and v2.1 in slots 3-4 the computer now boots with all sticks installed.. Then I went in to the bios and enabled the memory hole, and now it recognizes all 4 gigs..

Back