• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Geforce 4 MX440se..Need help badly..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Guys I bought a MSI Geforce4 MX 440:

Problem:
Lockups (mostly in games..be it D3D or Opengl)
Lockups only occur until I load drivers for the videocard..otherwise Safe mode, unloaded drivers fine....

What Ive tried:

I have swapped out video cards, Only car dthat is working is a 3dfx Voodoo3 AGP(what Im using right now), TNT Vanta and the Geforce4MX keep locking up the comp.
Latest drivers from nvidia and MSI.
Resinatalled WinXP several times with absolutly no luck....

Full SYs specs:
Pentuim 3 Slot 1 450mhz (stock)
AOpen AX6BC 440bx motherboard
3x 128 PC100 ram.
EnSoniq SOund card.
20 7200rpm Werten Digital HDD
4gig Seagate HDD (backup)
300watt powersupply.

The system ran great for a day and a half, then lockups started to occur like crazy....Ive taken the card to a comp store, the one i bought it from, And had it stress tested on a Win98 machine, dont know what the specs were but it was faster than this p3..ran fine for like 15mins, In this comp it will lock in windows after at least liek 5mins....

Me and teh guy at the comp store couldnt figur it out....So weve broken it down to definitly not be teh card but something with nvidias drivers...software conflict?

Laterz....

I didnt get to play a LAN party this weekend cause of this stupid problem...

umh!

looking at your sig i say another 50 watts of power or more may resolve your problem for what you have installed hardware wise could be drawing alot of power when you kick off games ie ram usesage,hard drive spinup,cd rom spin up,graph x card power intake,fan speed increase ect ect.my system was giving me same probs last year put in 350 watt power house and presto no more probs worth a try for a few $s;)

Hmmmm.....

I forgot to mention my monitor tends to flick on and off real quick with this card....Ive tried 2 monitors with thsi as well...

But I will look at this powersupply thing....

Tried the powersupply thing....didnt work...

I hooked my 2 hardrives, Cdrom and fans up to a AT powersupply I had laying around....still locks up...monitor still flicks on and off...

just another suggestion,when you boot does the ATAPI show in the first bios screen ie all the IRQ settings the last setting is usealy ATAPI on IRQ 11 mybe not on all systems is it set to this but if you have ATAPI enabled this i now can sometimes cause system lock up and graphix probs as it uses the same IRQ as your display adapter,so disable it in the setup bios in power settings:rolleyes:

If you meant ACPI...I tried that but then WInXP wouldnt load...

But its using like IRQ 8 and the Geforce4 is using 11...but get this..

The only other change I made was hooking up my DVD rom....and well it works so far..NFS 3 ran real good..

Thanks, it must ahve been something to do with ACPI, I disabled it..sys wouldnt boot like I said, reenabled it and well now the card works like it should...so far..

Back