• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Win7 detecting DVD rom drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eroc

I have an LG DVDR multi drive that Windows will not see. It is on my Intel rig in sig.

There are no IDE connectors on the board so I had to use an Abit Seriallel 2 PATA-SATA adaptor.

It used to be detected at boot up (now it doesn't even do that, though I have been trying different plugs, cables and every jumper setting on the drive) and I even began loading the Windows install disk then it gave me the "cd/dvd device driver missing" and wanted me to install it. Well, never got that working so I used a usb flash drive to install windows and installed all the "updated" SATA drivers from Asus and it still does not see it.

I am running in RAID mode so I can use Intel's Rapid Storage. I have heard that in that config it may not be able to detect ATAPI drives. The other two sata controllers on my board (Marvell and JMB) do not even support ATAPI drives, or RAID for that matter. This leaves me connecting to my IRS that is in RAID.

Is there something I'm missing or do I have to not use RAID on this board just to have an OD? That seems pretty rediculous. :bang head

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Drives detecting again. Just needed to push the molex connector in lol. Still not in Device manager though.

Last edited:
what was the dvd detected as? i am interested in how the adpation shows up in the system, beings mine didnt Work :-(

there is nothing wrong with having a DVD hanging out on the side of the intel raid system, as a regular disk.
i tested the marvell controller on one card, and it did ok with a sata dvd, but i didnt leave it that way long enough to even do a burn. they said they didnt support it then either. i dont know what ATAPI is :) so i didnt know enough to wonder what of that wouldnt work.

i could not get the pata to sata devices to work for poo, and i can imagine that there will still be some thing even working that wont be supported proper.
got $20 for a sata dvd?

outside the system, it aint worth $50 to deal with a adapted THING hanging off the side of your system, when trying to Boot off of it, like installing.
there are people who still have and use Pata, and might be happy to have a pata device, they are becomming harder to find.

for the price i can think of better ways to torture yourself :) there has to be something i am missing.

Last edited:
Well it detects is as "LG-bunch o numbers and letters-DVD RAM" which kind of puzzles me. RAM as opposed to ROM? Well I am about to try a Sata dvd as I can get one for like $15 down the street.

When I plugged the drive into the Marvel Sata my system just hung so I don't know whats up with that other than maybe it doesn't like the adapter.

Thanks for your input. Guess I'll have to just buy a new drive...

oh, ya it will hang, i forgot what fixes that, put something in the other port too?

DVD "Ram" exists. some dvd drives are capable of writing and reading an "optio-magnetic" disk, it does about 4x speed, works like a HD and i think had to have suporting software. either it is capable of that too, or it got recognised as one that is.

Back