• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems flashing BIOS on Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BroncosXR8

Registered
OK, so today I decided I would try to flash my Motherboard for the first time.

Being new to the game I tried using the @BioS software provided by Gigabyte with my OC board, after reading some guides I now know that this wasn't the smartest option.

So the board came with Bios F3 standard, and the latest version is F6 which is what the @BioS software installed.

It seems as if the @BioS update actually worked fine, however on booting to Windows 8, my startup programs would begin to load and after approx 20 seconds Windows would BSOD with the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

So I went and read the guides (tip for young players always read the guide first:bang head), which is when I discovered that the @BioS software can be quite potentially nasty for your MB.
Figuring that my new F6 bios is possibly corrupt (it doesn't seem to be when loading into the BIOS, besides the spelling error of 'standard'), my first step is to manually download the F6 bios from the Gigabyte website onto a thumbdrive... all fine except I obviously have to do this from another PC, except my wife has a MacBook Pro and 27" iMac. The Gigabyte downloads are in exe format which the (stupid) Mac won't natively play with.

I managed to find a beta bios called X02 (which looks really good so far) in the .7zip format so was able to unpack that onto the thumbdrive and qflash the MB with the X02 bios... same symptoms, loads into the new bios fine, but when attempting to load W8 it BSOD after a short period of time.

Back to more googling, I manage to find a bunch of previous bios versions F5, F5p, F5q, F4 but all in the exe format. I then saved them all to my thumbdrive plug it in to the USB's for flashing the MB and load W8, I have juuuuuust enough time to open the drive and click on the exe file get it to open/convert and save the new bios file on the thumbdrive, after which W8 immediately BSOD.

So now I try the qflash with the F6 and F4 bios versions with exactly the same result. Oh no I think I might have killed the MB (for the 2nd time since I've got it in a month if you read my earlier thread).

[SOLVED] OK now to try a long shot which I honestly didn't think would make any difference, if someone could explain to me why it did that would be great:shrug:. I conducted a restore to an earlier point about a week ago and viola it now seems to load W8 with no problems. :)

So the main points in my thread besides the usual ALWAYS READ THE GUIDE FIRST which I didn't do, is that if the qflash didn't work try a restore point.

Back