• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Biostar I45 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Facepuncher

Registered
I recently built a new system because I am interested in experimenting with overclocking, and so far I have not even been able to get it to run at stock settings. I am new to using enthusiast pc components; I have always built more budget minded systems in the past.

Basically my system freezes randomly and does not respond to anything except a reset from the switch on the case. This happens sometimes while windows is loading, while surfing the internet, or while gaming. Nothing particular seems to trigger it, and it varys in frequency from every twenty minutes to every 4 hours.

I have adjusted settings in the bios to match the timing and voltage on the package that my ram came in, and everything else seems to be normal. If I leave everything set at auto or default the problem still occurs.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. This is a fresh installation with nothing more than drivers and Spore loaded on it.

These are the specs:

Intel Q9550 cpu, Biostar Tpower I45 motherboard (P45 chipset), 2 x 2 gigs of Patriot 1066mhz PC2-8500 DDR2 ram, MSI 8800GTS 512 gpu, WD 250 gig hard drive, OCZ StealthXStream 500w power supply.

I suspect that I am doing something wrong with regards to the ram, or it may be faulty, but honestly I have no idea. If anybody could help me with some ideas on what I should do I would really appreciate it.

Some memory may have a compatibility issue running on this board. I have some Patriot memory (PC2-9600) that I have difficulty running much higher than DDR2-1000. If you have picked out a memory speed of 1066 in the BIOS I would suggest lowering that selection to 800 (just to start with) to see if it stabilizes at stock speeds. Later you can move (increase) your speed towards 1066 to find out more about how your memory interacts with the board's chipset/RCOMP/memory timings.

If I set the bios at the predetermined 1066mhz settings the computer will not even post half the time and I have to reset the cmos jumper. I have not tried any other setting besides auto, so I will try 800 and see what happens.

check your ram's voltage as well and be sure it is running at the recommeneded volts. ram setttings can be very picky on this board. hope this helps. keep us posted.

The mobo defaults to 1.9v, and the ram is rated for 2.1v. When I bump the voltage up to 2.1 the freezing actually seems to get worse.

I'm pretty much convinced that the ram is the problem. I've tested the Patriot ram in memtest86 and it checks out OK, but I think the mobo just doesn't like it. I ordered some 1066mhz Mushkin ram that should be here on Monday so hopefully that will fix it.

Back