• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with lsi sas 9240-8i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

95blackz26

ok so i posted before about looking for a card to add more drives to my server..well i figured in the price for the card and cage i was going to get to add drives to the 5 1/4 bays, i bought a lenovo thinkserver ts430 which came with a lsi megaraid sas 9240-8i card..

problem comes with the card won't work in either server 2012r2 or server 2016.. but works fine when i install the drivers in windows 7.. updated the card to latest firwmware i could find for it.

Sorry for the late response, but is there a question here?

Have you reached out to LSI or looked to see if it was compatible with those OSs?

It still should run using default Windows drivers on newer OS. I mean if array is not bootable then OS will see the card and will install drivers. Server 2012 is like Win7/8, if you want it to be bootable then during installation try to use drivers for Win7 or Win8 ( probably will be info about incompatible driver or it won't be on the suggested driver list ).
These controllers are pretty old already and I don't think there will be official support in newer OS. I have LSI controller with modified firmware ( should be about the same card, maybe SAS connectors are different ) and it works on Win10 but I wasn't trying that on Server 2016. For sure it was working on Server 2012R2, just not sure how I installed it.

Did you enter the raid card bios (ctl-i maybe?) during the computer post process and create/save your array before loading windows? Pretty sure you did but figured to start there.

Did you try the latest driver? It's here. Should work with Windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 U1; Windows 10 Client LTSB; Windows Server 2012, Server 2012 R2, Server 2012 R2 Update 1 and Windows Server 2016

If not...try compatibility mode for win7?

Last edited:
Did you enter the raid card bios (ctl-i maybe?) during the computer post process and create/save your array before loading windows? Pretty sure you did but figured to start there.

Did you try the latest driver? It's here. Should work with Windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 U1; Windows 10 Client LTSB; Windows Server 2012, Server 2012 R2, Server 2012 R2 Update 1 and Windows Server 2016

If not...try compatibility mode for win7?

stuck the latest firmware i could find which was from 2014 and any driver i could find and it still wouldn't run..i'll try it again later but i threw server 2008 r2 on it since it had the same lifespan as 7.. i will revisit this in a few months when it cools down and isn't humid as hell. i don't air condition my whole apartment so, and this summer has been ridiculous with heat and humidity which kills my longevity of trouble shooting issues.

as for the driver you posted i had this version MR_WINDOWS_DRIVER_6.13-6.713.06.00-WHQL...i will try that later version when it cools down a bit here.

Sorry for the late response, but is there a question here?

Have you reached out to LSI or looked to see if it was compatible with those OSs?

IIRC... 3Ware got bought by LSI. LSI has since been bought by Avago. Avago has since been bought or incorporated into Broadcom.

I reached out to LSI in 2015 when my LSI 9240-8i had a firmware update failure. I received 00 percent reply back even though I listed my self as a SOHO business. Their money is MADE in the Corporate world, we mean nothing. :(

Back