• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with swapping out CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Striker51z

I have a ASUS M5A97 EVO motherboard and I was trying to change my CPU out to a AMD FX 6300. Problem is that when i put the new processor in, the computer won't boot. I'm thinking this is a defective part but I want to make sure that it couldn't be anything else thats causing this.

Did you overclock your previous CPU? I when I did the same thing (upgrade to my FX-4300) I couldn't get the comp to boot, or do anything until I reset the bios by swapping the CPU back so I could reset the bios.

If you have a clear CMOS jumper on your mobo, try that too. I didn't try that first, but it may very well work all the same.

Did you overclock your previous CPU? I when I did the same thing (upgrade to my FX-4300) I couldn't get the comp to boot, or do anything until I reset the bios by swapping the CPU back so I could reset the bios.

If you have a clear CMOS jumper on your mobo, try that too. I didn't try that first, but it may very well work all the same.
Yeah, tried clearing the jumper and it still didn't work.

In order to support that CPU you will need to flash the BIOS to the latest version 1604. Put the old CPU in and flash the BIOS, then install the new CPU and you should be golden.

Back