• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with temps with my 8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muntahunta

Registered
Hi, I have just bought a fx 8320 and a CM hyper evo212 to go with it.

I intalled it like I have many cpu's in the past. Installed the evo like he instructions and youtube installations told me.

I have an exhaust fan on the back of the computer and the exact setup was used to overclock my previous fx6300 from 3.5 to 3.9 using the stock cooler (although the exhaust used to be an intake... could that make the difference?).

My problem is that I am getting these temps after 10 mins using p95 while there is NO overclock!

whats going on :S

p95-1.jpg

(Socket 73c, package 58c)

The idle temps are (Socket 38c, package 22c)

I had a little amount of thermal paste leakage when installing, but nothing major.

Coul anyone help?

Can you post a picture of the inside of your case?

Please detail what case you have, what fans you have, where the fans are, and what direction they are moving air.

unfortunatly i dont have a camera with me.
I have an old cooler master case, it was a friends so no idea how old or make.

I currently have both side panels off too to try and get more air into it (due to the heat)

I have two preinstalled large case fans, (same size as the evo212 stock fan), one at the front which is an intake and one at the back which is an exhaust.

Try using a house fan to blow through the case.
What are your ambient temps?
What motherboard?

Room temp I would say is around 23c, my motherboard is an Asus m5a97 r.20

I may have found the problem.
There is a setting in the bios called "load line" and it was enabled.
I have set it to auto and my temps have dropped around 10c.

Are you still stable in Prime95?

That motherboard....... will struggle. The VRM isn't built strong enough to handle an 8-core well at all.

You will be very lucky if the Asus m5a97 r.20 motherboard holds up with that 8 core FX-8320. Might do okay for awhile but do not think of overclocking. The VRM circuit is just not up to handling the voltage/current loads of an overclocked 8 core FX processor. The last user posted that failure will not happen overnite but it will happen as it did happen to him.

RGone...

CM hyper evo212 to go with it.

Add a fan to this cooler in push and pull configuration and try actively cooling the VRM package area.

Really this chip would benefit from some liquid cooling imo.

his issue right now is the socket temp, listed on the cpu tmp line in hw monitor.
a lot of air needs to be blowing over the area between the cpu socket and the I/O back plate.
I had the m5a97 R2.0 awsome board for a 965 be but it had issues even with an fx 4300 at 4.5.
start flooding this area with airflow and start working your vcore down.

thaks guys, im gonna go buy a new mboard backplate tommorow (one that has space for a fan behind the cpu) and buy a few more fans to put in the case.

I've got it stable at 4.1 without load line configuration enabled (for some reason it is causing ANY overclock to be unstable and it pushes the heat past 70)

the temps are 57 socket, 45 package. my voltage is currently 1.38 but no matter what i put it at, i cant get past 4.1ghz without getting warnings on some of the cores.
the heat is perfectly fine without load line configuration enabled.

You don't need to buy a motherboard tray if that is what you're doing. You can easily just cut the existing one. As far as getting the Cpu stable above 4.1 Ghz just because the Socket and Package temps are below Max recommended doesn't mean the VRM section isn't getting too hot. The other issue is as the good people above mentioned the board just isn't made to really push the 8xxx chips unless you can get the important components such as the VRM, socket and package really cold.

looking at it all, pull that motherboard and exchange it for one that is known to live pushing that much current, that board is for a 965 quad core at the best.

Ive only just started overclocking my fx6300, but heres what ive learned so far...

Your motherboard doesnt have the appropriate heatsinks to deal with such high voltages, you can see here in these 2 photos, one link is a picture of your motherboard, the other is a link to the motherboard i have.

http://www.teslatech.co.za/image/ca...s/motherboards/amd/M5A97-LE-R2.0a-500x500.jpg

http://www.conrad.com/medias/global/ce/8000_8999/8700/8730/8736/873685_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

You can see the lack of heatsinks on yours and this will really hold you back, from what ive read, you pretty much shouldnt bother trying to OC any board that doesnt have a good few heatsinks on the NB/SB and VRM's..

As far as cooling goes, this is my setup
IMG_6918.JPG

1 exhaust fan, 2 fans on the heatsink, 1 infont of the heat sink above the dvd drive, and another right at the front of the case that cant be seen in the photo. All are 120mm fans and all blow the same direction, theres also a 200mm fan on top of my case thats an intake too. Even with that my cpu reaches 58c and package 51c at 4.4ghz 1.32v running prime for over 3 hours, i know the processors we use are different slightly, but the temps you are seeing are crazy high.

The people on here are really helpful, listen to there advice :D

Pretty sure the OP is NOT using the LE ver. as you posted Mark. I think the M5A97 R 2.0 is fairly close to the 99fx Pro and Evo just a different chipset so it has Heatsinks and a 6 phase power system.

My apologies, i misread the information :p

I just looked and OP's motherboard does have the heatsink along the VRM's. Hopefully this issue will be resolved :D

I would still recommend a better cooling solution regardless of the motherboard choice, i think at least another 2 120mm fans would help with temps alot :attn:

LLC is there to help with voltage drop under load. I'm not familiar with that board but if it's only off and on then you really have only two choices. My M5A has setting for regular high etc..
If it's working for you and temps are good then leave it as is.

Back