• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problen with HDD backup on a laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

I'm using a Dell Latitude D610 laptop and I have the standard internal HDD supplyied by Dell as well as a second drive which can slot into the CD bay.

Using Norton Ghost 10 I copied the internal drive to the second drive, when I goto Windows Explorer the copy seems to have work properly. Then I tried to load start the PC from the OS now copied on the second drive but the that didn't work, it just loaded from the internal drive. Then I swapped the drives so the second drive is now in the Internal caddy this time I get an error message saying there is a problem with the internal HDD.

Any ideas why I can't boot from the copied second HDD, or how I can solve this problem?

Did you ghost the drive as a bootable system disk? See if ghost has an option to image the disk so that the target drive can boot as if it were the source drive.

Another thing to look at is Disk Manager in administrative tools. Check the status of ghosted disk and see if you can make it bootable there.

I am assuming you can trash the 2nd disk anytime to retry this a couple times.

HTH

I can't really remember if saved it as a bootable!! but I think I did see an option for that somewhere. Yes I can trash the second drive, I've only just got the program so I'm still working it out. Thanks for the advice.

Back