• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Programs crash to desktop randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brinlong

Greetings. I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate thread, but similar ones all are on rather different systems. I'm a bit of a techie, but this is beyond my level. I have no root cause to pursue, and I've tried most of the normal solutions.

By the by, it blue screened on me when I was first writing this post, lol.

This is what I have on the program crashes, particularly with SWTOR or Aion:

Faulting application name: swtor.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x524c3c0e
Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 9.18.13.2723, time stamp: 0x52314d4c
Exception code: 0xc0000005

And

Faulting application name: swtor.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x524c3c0e
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.6161, time stamp: 0x4dace5b9
Exception code: 0xc0000005

And this is what I got from the event log for the blue screen I just had

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be

The System specs are the Cyberpower PC Black Pearl, running a clean 64-bit Windows 7. This is what I've tried:

Overheating - Unlikely. It has a builtin thermocouple which says the system never gets above 33C. Also, I have a push pull fan system, and can see no dust, so I can't believe its heat releated

Bad HDD - I can't rule this out, but I'd have crashes with a lot more programs wouldn't I?

Drivers - I've updated drivers out the wahzoo, and the problems never seem to be affected. Unless I've missed some random critical component, the only item it says I'm missing a driver for is a USB port.

Please let me know if theres more info that'd be useful, but I don't even have the start of a breadcrumb trail.

Stop: 0xc0000005 is a fairly generic error and could be caused by most anything.

You can try these first:

1. Open a command window and type "chkdsk c: /f /v /r" (without quotes) then hit <enter>. Answer the resulting message with a Y, then reboot. This'll take a while.

2. Download memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ), burn it to CD, boot it and run at least 3 complete cycles on each stick of RAM individually in each slot followed by pairs, alternating slots between tests (will likely take a while).

Corrupted file system or failing drive, and failed RAM are the 2 most likely suspects.

Back