• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Cheap Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TorqueRanger

I am building a computer for my brother to play Rainbow Six Siege,Ark,and Squad..So I would like some help picking parts as it been a while since I have been in the game .. Right now I have a cheap case ,850watt power supply,and AM3 motherboard with 555BE and 16gb DDR3 OEM ram.. The Budget is around $250 or so ..Should I upgrade to a better CPU and Motherboard or just get AMD 1055T ???

Thanks

I think you need to upgrade your MOBO and CPU. Get a ryzen 5 2600 and ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, it will cost you around 210$. Also you can consider buying Ryzen 5 2400g if you are planning to get a GPU in near future

Do you have a GPU? If he has a monitor, what resolution? Like Trents said if you upgrade to anything current gen you'd need DDR4.

If you don't have a GPU you *may* be able to get away with a used 1055T and 1060, proably still going to be slightly CPU limited. Or you could go with Keithn's suggestion and grab a 2400G/mobo combo, maybe 8gb of cheap ram for $275ish, but I looked into them over black friday and wouldn't bet on anything playable above 720p or so.

I think your brother should just wait, save his pennies and build up the budget.

And for sure, you need to provide more information.

What about drives?
The graphics solution?
Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers?
OS license?

No way can you upgrade the motherboard and buy a new CPU and a nice chunk of DDR4 without blowing the budget. And remember, for licensing purposes, a new motherboard constitutes a new computer and that typically requires a new Windows license since OEM/System Builders licenses are NOT "legally" transferable to new computers under any circumstances. So if you decide to go with a new motherboard, you may need to budget for a new Windows license too - to be legal.

Right now the plan is to use a Syncmaster P2770 monitor or a 40" 1080P..I don't have any GPU and that combo is possible .. What I was thinking was to grab a used 1055t,AMD 580,and 16gb DDR3 ram ?? I forgot the drives which are going to be a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB and 1tb Seagate Drive.. All running Win7 or might upgrade down the road.

Back