• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project :gateway:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CougarSE

I was thinking of a silly name for the project and came up with gateway. Why? This case is actualy an old Gateway tower. I think it had a 486sx in it. Its a nice tower very well built.

Here are some pictures. I wish I had a pic of it before I tore it all down but alas I forgot.

Shows the old color and poor condition of the chassis.

origanal.jpg

Here is after I painted the front of the case and a few other parts. I painted the power and reset buttons silver and I even took that floppy apart and painted it.

front.jpg

Here is a shot of the inside, I've painted the entire chassis with silver paint. From autozone, its the duplicolor stuff.

inside.jpg

Rear shot. This was an AT case, but that atx plate fits fine, just has a wee bit extra room up top.. I'm going to take the stock plate and cut it down to fill the gap or make some kind of rear cpu exit duct.

rear.jpg

Now this front panel mod :bang head was actualy a mistake. I left the panel too close while I was painting the chassis, and before I changed the defunct nozel on the paint can. It looks nice so I'm just going to leave it.

mistake.jpg

Now this is the biggest hurdle. It uses one of those crapy full hood things... Has anybody else put a window in one of these style case covers? Sorry for the poor image quality. Didn't get it focused right.

hood.jpg

Thank you for checking out my first Journaled project at OC!

I cut my bifold along the top corner on the side that the components to go in. If I ever get around to finishing that case thats what I figured would be the best way to put in a window. I also remember a case mod that the guy cut out a window for a door which opened outward.

Well, this will be no speed demon. But I want this case to do something! :)

Dual PII 450
512mb
TNT2 video
IDE RAID card
2x10gb drives
18gb scsi drive
9gb scsi drive
still tracking down one of the two 29160's laying around here.

motherboard.jpg

Still wondering what to do with the front panel wires... sleeve them or run them behind the tray and through a hole.

hdd.jpg

One of two drive cages in this thing. I still have to track down the other one though.

Next step will be modifying the power supply. At work we have so many unused modular pieces from expensive power supplies, I'm going to take my psu apart and splice these nice sleeved sections into my cheepy 300 watt. Its not the best psu but it has the extra connector that the dual cpu board needs.

Just came out of the depths of the basement digging for some cool little stashed items. Came back with some fans that probably wont be used... but i did find two 92mm fan grills ( i think 92), some extra switches, thumbscrews!! and the stock backing plate. I'll begin by cutting it down then maybe build a cpu duct. Nether of the cpus have fans... and they look nice and shiny cool. Plexi fan duct.. I like it.

stuffs.jpg

I decided that I want two PSU's. One for the mainboard and one for lights and fans. But the case only has provisions for one. I came up with this. And yes this is just a mockup unit as its dead. And yes it will be mounted just like that!

psu.jpg

psu1.jpg

Even though this cover will either get modified heavily or not used at all. I painted it! I ran out of black paint so I decided to fade it to silver..

hood-1.jpg

Ahh reminds me of the old 386 gateway case that used to live at my house.
I still feel bad about what i did to that case. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you are keeping yours around.

As for modding the odd top cover / shell thing... You can add ablowhole or other goodies up top fairly easily.
If you want to put in a window you can... BUT you are likley going to be restricted to a cutting wheel or dremmel for cutting it out. As for the plexi or whatever -- double sided tape is the modders best friend.

Great ideas! For sure subscribed :D Great job on the paint, I like how you improvised and made the mistakes work better than you actually intended the original idea to be.

Back