• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: LAN Box MAXX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
all depends on which way u try and place/make a rack I suppose. if i try to put them like in in my 690 its not wide enough if i try and go vertically its not tall enough. as for mounting them on the bottom i could but they would be literally touching the video card which wont be good for heat. *sigh*

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3086/1004807.jpg

How much clearance is that? 0.25"?

I would consider getting some aluminum L channel, then bolting the hard drives to the L channels, and bolting the L channels to the floor of your case. Who needs airflow? Let your case be a heatsink for your hard drives. :D

But yea, removing a hard drive from the equation also makes things easier.

from the floor to the hdd there is probably just under .25" and there is zero between the hdd and vid card

well this was a fun project but im going back to full atx. case im prolly gonna store away and board will go up for sale soon enough. i hope you all enjoyed this project and keep your eyes open for the next project: The Green Monster Ver. 2.0!

That didn't last long! Reminds me of the three days I spent with an ITX rig. SFF builds are fun, but they still leave you hungry.

Anyway, the finished product looked good.

That didn't last long! Reminds me of the three days I spent with an ITX rig. SFF builds are fun, but they still leave you hungry.

Anyway, the finished product looked good.

thank you! the project was fun and ill prolly come back to it with some new internals and a bit of a face lift. just want a bit more breathing room and much better looks.

If it's performance you're going for; good job. Otherwise you destroyed that case.

performance and keeping it cool were the main priorities. the front did become quite the hack job in the end, if i ever come back to this i plan to replace the whole front with mesh and make it look 100% better than it does now. other than that the side panel needed a bit of change but im sure that can be easily accomplished.

just curious, if i may ask, why "MAXX"?

MAXX was just because it really is much bigger than most SFF builds and I venture to guess on the higher side of the performance scale. plus I'm just not really good with titles.

thats a great job and all ... but whos the fine lady on your desktop?

hahaha...dont remember her name tbh just a picture i found one day and was fairly high res an 16:9 so i figured desktop! :beer:

cool, the name reminded me of a cartoon that was on a while back on MTV .. lol

nice build and good idea with the handle, is balanced out ok?
temps look great too. i am sure you have fun with this at lan parties

the handle was cheap too and the weight was fairly balance because of all the hdds in the front and the psu being in the back. though id say it tended to lean slightly down a bit more on the front. and thanks. never took it to any lan parties just brought it to work a lot for the those slow days hahahahah! :beer:

Back